Notice Periods and lease complexities

tomwa

So... I'm looking at moving out of a house that I've rented for five years and to a house I own elsewhere in the city due to family issues. The initial lease on the house was for 12 months after which we moved into a part 4 tenancy. I haven't had contact with the landlord bar email since the day I signed the first lease. Rent has always been paid on time and in full, I've maintained the place well, met any required maintenance out of pocket and kept the landlord notified of any issues and their resolution. We further agreed terms at the end of 2014 to sign a two year lease covering 2015 and 2016. Both parties agreed to sign at the next available opportunity but the actual contract was never written up or signed. Agreed rent increases were paid.

Am I right in assuming that part 4 would still be in effect and I can just serve 84 days notice?

From what you have indicated, in my opinion, yes, you have a Part 4 tenancy (actually it is a Further Part 4 tenancy as Part 4 has a 4 year cycle).

You are correct that you must give 84 dys notice in writing to the landlord. However, by mutual agreement this may be shorter or longer.

I don't know what he has but his new lease do not need to be in writing to be valid. I've no written leases with my tenants. I suggest the OP talks to the landlord and see what he's happy with. I never bother about notice periods myself, if they are going they go.

My current problem is contacting the landlord to serve notice or discuss the matter at all.
All the contact details I have for him are no longer valid. The last email address I have which he contacted me from in December is bouncing back mail and he's a non-resident who moves from country to country quite a lot so I have no up to date address or phone number.

I've served notice to my tenants already on grounds that I need the property for myself, so the clock is ticking...

:I

You could just delay paying the next rent, I am sure he will contact you then to see where the payment is?

Back