Notice of rent review issued before lease expires?

NY_Resident

Hi all

I own a property which is let out and being managed by a letting agency.

As I am now approaching the end of the first 24 months, I have asked my letting agency to give 90 days notice to the tenant that the rent will be increasing (which would mean an increase from say mid July given that it is now mid April). However, the letting agent is telling me that this notice cannot be issued until after the lease expires on 1 July 2018, and that the 90 day notice then applies from then....meaning that any rent increase can't take effect until 1 October 2018.

I cannot find the section of the legislation which supports this and I do not believe that the letting agent is correct. Does anyone on this forum know the answer here please?

Tenancy commenced: 1 July 2016 (1 year lease)
Lease renewed: 1 July 2017 (1 year lease, same tenants)
Rent last reviewed: 1 July 2016 (when the original lease was signed)
Property is situated in a RPZ area

Thanks all.

Lies.
IF the lease states the rent you are held to that until the lease ends.
You can do a rent review 1 year after the last one. So give your notice to take effect whenever after you arent bound by the lease.
Oh, and dont have a lease anymore.
The estate agent wants to be paid for a new lease. The lease gives you nothing at all. It binds you, but not the tenant.
Dont issue leases after this one expires.

Sounds like you have the same agent as a friend of mine.
He is currently going about firing them. ITs like they work for themselves and not you, who pays them.

Back