Notary public

Discussion in 'Recommend advisors - solicitors, accountants etc.' started by Palerider, 12 Sep 2018.

1. Palerider

Palerider Frequent Poster

I need some documents notarised in the greater Dublin area, any idea what this may cost and any recommendations please, it is witnessing my signature on a few documents nothing complex.

2. POC

POC Frequent Poster

A Peace Commisioner doesn’t charge anything. Would that be acceptable?

3. noproblem

noproblem Frequent Poster

Hmm, many do and in this day and age who can blame them.

4. Palerider

PC’s cannot notarise but good thinking ..

5. RedOnion

RedOnion Frequent Poster

It's been a little while since I used one, so can't advise on current costs. I think at the time it was 20 per doc, but less cause I was getting a few. But I understand 50 is regularly the price.

Official list of Notaries, with a convenient map:
    http://www.notarypublic.ie

6. dublin67

dublin67 Frequent Poster

I'd agree that €50 is the typical cost per document. You can always ask for a quote in advance and see how it goes.

The principal difference between a notary and a Commissioner for Oaths/Practicing Solicitor/Peace Commissioner is that a notary is principally for documents used abroad. The price is controlled for a Commissioners/Practicing Solicitor in relation to swearings etc but not for notaries. As mentioned above Peace Commissioners can't charge.

7. noproblem

I've had reason to use them over the past few years and i've paid them. I just didn't give it to them but asked was there a charge and each time was told €20. I paid and didn't mind to tell you the truth. I certainly didn't know there was no charge.

8. Palerider

That is ridiculous, peace commissioners are an Honorary appointment and you should never be charged, only in Ireland...

9. noproblem

It would be interesting to know if others have had a similar experience? Who appoints Peace Commissioners and what, if any, qualifications do they have or need? Any I know are politically minded though some would have you believe they're not.

10. odyssey06

odyssey06 Frequent Poster

The only one I had dealings with with a retired Garda. He would not have charged for the service although in the end it turned out I needed a notary public :(

noproblem likes this.
  11. Palerider

Minister for Justices appoints PC's, you have to be seen as a mover/shaker/ leading member of your community, a stand out guy ( or gal ) so to speak, no particular qualifications are necessary and no naughty stuff in your background, I'm not sure they have that much of a relevance anymore.

noproblem likes this.