Not entitled to illness benefit or maternity benefit. Any option left?

Butter

I'm posting on behalf of a friend from another EU country.
She has 36 weeks of contributions in 2013 & 30 weeks in 2014 in that EU country. She was working here from the beginning of April until the end of July & then got signed off sick by her GP.
To complicate matters she is pregnant & has been turned down for both illness benefit & maternity benefit.
The father of the baby is in the picture & is working but the relationship is rocky & they aren't married & have been together less than a year.
I know she's not in a great position but is there any help that she can get? Will the welfare officer be able to offer her anything?
Thanks for any suggestions!

Are they cohabitating? If yes then she is accessed on his means. Maybe if she moves out on her own she will be entitled to assistance in the form of rent supplement or supplementary allowance.

Has she checked her options in her home country? Perhaps she could go there and start a claim and then transfer the claim back to Ireland?

Thank you both for your replies. Yes, they are living together & he is working so it may be that she isn't entitled to anything. I'm not sure how long they'll be together though.
I never thought of her starting a claim at home first but that seems very difficult & she would have to move.
It's very difficult to know what to advise as I'm wading through documents in another language & trying to help fill in forms here. She'll go to the community welfare officer & see what they might be able to suggest.
My own gut instinct was that because she is part of a couple she won't be assessed as a single person. His wage will probably rule out support to her but could he claim her tax relief? Or maybe family income supplement when the baby is born?

FIS when baby is born if his wage is below the threshold. She will not be assessed as single while cohabitating and unless married he cannot claim her tax credits.

Back