Not been canvassed...

Lipstick69

2 weeks to go until the election and I haven't been canvassed at my doorstep, on the street, on public transport or indeed anywhere. Nor have I received one piece of election literature through my door. I live in dublin West and work in town. I've been at home most evenings. I don't live in a gated community or an apartment. I am registered to vote (the only one by the way amongst a team of 7 work colleagues). I even registered for the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail ezine so if anyone checks this list against the register they would know I am interested in politics. I'm a classic undecided voter, ripe for the vote-taking!

Does anyone want my vote?

no! :p

Apart from outside mass and one morning at the traffic lights (both FG) i would only know there was an election by the amount of rubbish paper coming through the letterbox.

its probably a blessing.

I have a little note saying that "it is customary for visitors to accept and share in a glass of our tapwater".

No callers yet:rolleyes: !

Count yourself fortunate. I know a lot of people who hide when the doorbell rings rather than face canvassers!!

I have never been canvassed at the door by anyone. They must know what I'm like! :D

I have never been canvassed at the door by anyone. They must know what I'm like! :D

They probably do. They go around with an electoral register with their own comments on each household based on local and historical knowledge. Someone local probably said- don't bother with that guy on the end there, he's a wiseass and will only bend your ear about nurses/berties money etc before voting for FF anyway. :rolleyes:

They probably do. They go around with an electoral register with their own comments on each household based on local and historical knowledge. Someone local probably said- don't bother with that guy on the end there, he's a wiseass and will only bend your ear about nurses/berties money etc before voting for FF anyway. :rolleyes:
Pity they are not that smart when it comes to running the country :p

Heard several people on radio today complaining about getting text messages from politicans asking for their vote.

Living in an area approx. 2 years now, 2 local politicans send nearly monthly leaflets in the door saying all the things theyve been doing and trying to get done. Theyve knocked on the door, been at supermarkets with stalls asking can they do anything for me, they appear at sporting occasions, social events, RA meetings etc. Theyre getting my vote.
When the others have been knocking at my door (and they have been) I just ask them one thing, "where were you the last 2 years as Ive never heard of you before 2 weeks ago?".

It does seem strange that the OP hasn't been canvassed or even leafleted at all. I wonder if it is possible that most parties are assuming that your estate is 'owned' by the Shinners or the Greens perhaps, and have decided to prioritise their work on more fertile grounds.

We live a small estate (32 houses) which seem to attract little attention for campaign planners. While canvassing my own estate with Labour, a couple of people noted that they hadn't been canvassed yet for this election. We get a fair bit of bumpf through the door. If you do want to hear from Labour, send me your name/address by PM and I'll get someone round to you.

I even registered for the Fine Gael and Fianna Fail ezine so if anyone checks this list against the register they would know I am interested in politics.
It would be very difficult to do this cross referencing. Did you give a full address when registering for the e-zine? If not, it would be impossible to link you to the register. If yes, it would still be difficult to do this cross-reference, given the variety of names (Pat/Paddy/Patrick) and the possibility of multiple similar names at the same address. It would also need party Head Office to be sending out lists to every branch in the country on a regular basis, and the volunteers at branch level to be diligent in using this data. And finally, unless they indicated in advance that they were going to use the data for canvass purposes, it would be illegal!

They go around with an electoral register with their own comments on each household based on local and historical knowledge. Someone local probably said- don't bother with that guy on the end there, he's a wiseass and will only bend your ear about nurses/berties money etc before voting for FF anyway. :rolleyes:
It is very, very difficult to coordinate comments on an electoral register. If you have a smallish team of say 6 canvassers, you would have to
1) Copy your existing register 6 times
2) Step through the register at each house (adding about 30-60 seconds to each house)
3) Collate the feedback from 6 canvassers onto one master copy
4) Transfer the comments from that master copy each year when the register is updated

It's just not that easy.

I usually try to make sure I come to the doorstep wiping my hands with a grimy-looking cleaning rag (it tends to dampen their enthusiasm for prolonged handshaking), smile broadly and assure them that they have our vote, and wish them every success. That gets rid of most of them in 6-10 seconds. If I'm in the mood for it, I occasionally call out the wrong name as they're walking away, and warn them to 'watch out for the dogs in number 14!'

I just wish I could cut down on the steady stream of flyers and leaflets which arrive almost daily, the same ones over and over again. I wanted to sellotape a selection of them to the sides of the wheelybin with a sign saying 'Campaign literature here, please', but Mrs Moriarty told me I couldn't do that... :confused:

Since I spoke to one caller a few years back they have started coming in droves. I'm actually sorry for encouraging them now. They usually wait until I'm relaxing in my underwear with a frying pan thats when they ring the doorbell ! :D
I wonder if they share information about who doesnt shun them and who does ? I wouldnt think so due to competiition between them but some issue I raised must have put me on the radar:confused:

What are you doing with a frying pan in your undies?

many a girl would like to know ;)

haha .. Im a bit homer simpsonish when I get home. Its happened a few times when I was cooking dinner after a shower in the evening and the doorbell rang. Its happened so many times at inopportune monents I think they could have me bugged :(

Have only got a few leaflets from 1 party with my name spelled incorrectly.
Have sdecided that the first person to call will get the vote this time. I live a few miles from anywhere so anyone who makes the effort can have it.

If you do want to hear from Labour, send me your name/address by PM and I'll get someone round to you.
If you were involved with the Shinners I would be worried for LipStick69 :D

I have sympathy for politicians in general and particularly during elections. It must be a very stressful and tiring time for them. No matter which party they are from I would be respectful toward them at the door.

An update...
Still no canvassers! At this stage I'm giving my vote to the first person who bothers calling.
I live in a large estate by the way (over 1000 units) so it's not that it's "owned", as was suggested.
Thanks for the offer for Labour, but in reading the Labour manifesto this morning I spotted a glaring error that if they'd bothered doing some research they would know it's already in place.

Thanks for the offer for Labour, but in reading the Labour manifesto this morning I spotted a glaring error that if they'd bothered doing some research they would know it's already in place.
Gwan - Put us in the spotlight & give details of the glaring error.
I am perplexed by these attitudes as surely politicians welcome debate rather than inertia and apathy??
In general (& speaking from my experiences with Labour), yes - we would usually welcome any attempt at intelligent debate on the doors. Purple's suspicion that he had been 'blacklisted' for engaging in such debate seemed strange to me, as it certainly wouldn't deter (and might even encourage) a local Labour canvasser.

I haven't had anyone call to the door either but I've had a few leaflets that don't really give information. A while ago we got a letter addressed to "The boyfriends last name Family" - they definitely won't be getting my vote.

Have decided that the first person to call will get the vote this time. I live a few miles from anywhere so anyone who makes the effort can have it.

I was actually thinking that too and live in smallish village in midlands

The only person i saw was jackie healey ray from south kerry talking outside the church after mass while i was away for the bank holiday weekend.

No one i could vote for appearing at door.

Back