not allowed lodge crossed cheques into joint account ?

Thanks for the reference, but I still don't see where there is any law that says that a cheque being paid into the account in the name of the payee when it is crossed with a/c payee only must be endorsed (or is it indorsed?) by the payee. The cheques act appears to be introducing safeguards for banks on cheques which have been accepted and cleared by them.

I had same problem and cashier said " Just sign your wife's name on the back please!!" problem solved.

Thanks for the reference, but I still don't see where there is any law that says that a cheque being paid into the account in the name of the payee when it is crossed with a/c payee only must be endorsed (or is it indorsed?) by the payee. The cheques act appears to be introducing safeguards for banks on cheques which have been accepted and cleared by them.

What do you think "a/c payee only" means?

a/c payee ONLY means it can only be paid into an account in the name of the payee. It does not mean that the a/c has to be in the name of the payee SOLELY. Otherwise all joint accounts would be a waste of time.

I had same problem and cashier said " Just sign your wife's name on the back please!!" problem solved.

It's ridiculous, eh? Does anyone know if the bank scans in both the front and the back of the cheque when it's lodged? I would assume they scan the front of the cheque when they process it. Although maybe that's too logical for a bank?

It's ridiculous, eh? Does anyone know if the bank scans in both the front and the back of the cheque when it's lodged? I would assume they scan the front of the cheque when they process it. Although maybe that's too logical for a bank?

Cheques scanned by the banks' respective clearing departments. Front and back.

Do they do a comparison to the signature signed on the back? i know they do not look at the signature on the front when paying a cheque unless it is over €1000, or that used to be the case

Do they do a comparison to the signature signed on the back? i know they do not look at the signature on the front when paying a cheque unless it is over €1000, or that used to be the case

They compare the drawer's signature (from the front of the cheque) with the signature on the mandate held for that account.

It's physically impossible to examine every cheque presented....

Back