Not allowed into new house

mainie

My boyfriend and I are currently waiting for our new house to be ready. Its expected that we'll be able to do our snag in the last week of June and get the keys mid-July, but we still haven't seen the house!! I'd like to get in to take some measurements for flooring, furniture etc. Everything is done inside, kitchen's in, painting's done etc. Two weeks ago they said we'd be able to get in in a week and a half or so but now they're saying not for another week. They say its for insurance reasons. Is this the norm?

Yes, they don't have to allow you in before the snag. If you get plans you should be able to measure for furniture on that basis (worked ok for us).

There can be significant differences between the plans and the finished house. All it takes is one switch a foot away from where it shows on the plans, and your proposed room layout goes for a loop.

That's assuming you can get detailed plans in the first place.

mainie said:
My boyfriend and I are currently waiting for our new house to be ready. Its expected that we'll be able to do our snag in the last week of June and get the keys mid-July, but we still haven't seen the house!! I'd like to get in to take some measurements for flooring, furniture etc. Everything is done inside, kitchen's in, painting's done etc. Two weeks ago they said we'd be able to get in in a week and a half or so but now they're saying not for another week. They say its for insurance reasons. Is this the norm?

who is "they said.."? you need to talk to one person, the foreman, the other will waste your time...
Fews friends were in the same shoes as you are, and could access via foreman their property-to-be without any problem.

Sorry, 'they' is the foreman and he won't let us near it. We have plans with the basic measurements but not all measurements so I'd like to see the place to measure for tiles etc. Anyway, I can wait another week I suppose

Don't know what part of the country you are in, but in some places you can access sites at the weekend or in the evening (insurance wouldn't cover as you would be trespassing I'm sure). We have been in a house of the same type as ours on the site to take measurements as doors are not always locked on unfinished houses!

Dont know about the situation of your house but sometimes you can try to see the identical show house, and measure up to it

There's no show house :) and there are big security fences up in the evenings and at weekends..
Anyway, apparently we'll be able to get in next weekend so not so long to wait

Back