Nosy landlord

Serenn

Here’s one for you.

Me and my husband moved into a house 6 weeks ago, let through a letting agent.

On Sunday we were out for the day and were told by a neighbour that the landlord had come around, knocked on their door and started asking questions as to why the blinds were ‘always’ down (they’re not) and generally giving the impression that they’ve been observing us since we moved in.

I’m freaked out. The rent is paid on time in full, we’re professionals, good tenants, not house wreckers. I don’t expect to be watched by the landlord as I go about my daily life.

What’s the best way to put a stop to this nosiness? Should I just break the lease early and rent somewhere else? Would that affect my references for the next landlord?

"Joe, the blinds are down all day... what sort of sheneninannigans could they be getting up to behind them BLINDS!!!"

You haven't recently buried any large items at 2am in the back garden have you???

I think I saw this in a 1970s sitcom.

You could move, and end up with nosy neighbours who say the same thing and watch you through lace curtains as you go about your daily life.

Don't move. Unless it's to an island or isolated farmhouse.

Just play this one by the book:
  • Your landlord is only allowed to enter your home with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement, except in an emergency
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

If the landlord calls around unexpectedly, ask them if it's an emergency, if they say no, say now is not a convenient time and suggest an alternative.
Be polite and matter of fact.

It's a no on the 2am burying parties anyway!

I just feel like I'm being watched and it's made me quite paranoid to think they're outside trying to look in to where I live...

The blinds will bloody well be down from now on so the landlord can't spy on us!!

I never met the landlord as everything was done through the agent, but I've a description of them now from next door so I can be on the lookout for them or their car in the neighbourhood from now on.

The stress!

You seem to have taken the neighbour's (rather odd) comments at face value. I wouldn't rush to do that.

You seem to have taken the neighbour's (rather odd) comments at face value. I wouldn't rush to do that.

Good point.

But this neighbour happens to be a friend with whom I work as well, it's more than just a neighbour's word, it's also the word of a friend and co-worker.

But this neighbour happens to be a friend with whom I work as well, it's more than just a neighbour's word, it's also the word of a friend and co-worker.

One more reason to stay put, I'd rather have a good neighbour and a nosy landlord than a dis-interested landlord and a dodgy neighbour... I mean unless you're planning on being the dodgy neighbour and need a disinterested landlord :)

One more reason to stay put, I'd rather have a good neighbour and a nosy landlord than a dis-interested landlord and a dodgy neighbour... I mean unless you're planning on being the dodgy neighbour and need a disinterested landlord :)

Now there's a thought....;)

id allow more time to pass before taking a measure like moving out , it was odd of the landlord but not enough to warrant a major confrontation , he cant call round without requesting permission from you so if he arrives unannounced at your door , read him the riot act

So...

The other half registered our concern with the estate agent....he got a follow up call after 5:30 this evening requesting an inspection 'to put the landlord's mind at ease' next week!

It seems a rather punitive response to put it mildly.

I've never had a 'for cause' inspection in ten years renting..WTF?

Can they throw us out because we don't have the furniture arranged in a fashion that pleases their aesthetic?

So...

The other half registered our concern with the estate agent....he got a follow up call after 5:30 this evening requesting an inspection 'to put the landlord's mind at ease' next week!

It seems a rather punitive response to put it mildly.

I've never had a 'for cause' inspection in ten years renting..WTF?

Can they throw us out because we don't have the furniture arranged in a fashion that pleases their aesthetic?

in todays climate , if you moved the furniture out on the front lawn , threw petrol over it, lit a match and danced around it like indians , he would not be able to evict you without a hard fight

The landlord is entitled to pass the house. Why wouldn't he? It's probably his best source of income and he is (from a distance) protecting the investment. Making a comment about the blinds being down is innocent enough too. He was just prying i.e. asking a leading question to try to pick up any type of information.

OK! You're the best tenant. Great! You're happy there, so is your landlord (win/win). He learnt that you're not a house wrecker and you've learnt that he is inquisitive. There is no need to get paranoid. I don't think he was too nosy; he was just looking for reassurance. He got it and it is likely that he will never bother you again.

However, you did remind me of my renting days in Waterford back in the day. After years of digs, bed-sit, flat renting I moved to rent a small 2 bedroom house which had been converted to a three bedroom dwelling with a small back-yard, no garden. One of my working buddies moved in with me to share the expense. We repainted the inside, replaced some of the carpets, built bookshelves and generally modernised the place. We installed a washing-machine, toaster, television, bought some new furniture and we were proud now that we could invite former school friends to stay.

The landlord called and he imposed himself by moving in with us and as improvements had been made increased our rent. Worse again he was one of those cleaning freaks and very annoying e.g. he would place his shoes on newspaper strewn on the ground, failed to contribute to the house food kitty although availing of our food, would not pay his share of television rental and objected to us coming in after night duty, early morning starts, weekend work etc. He even kept the kitchen brush on newspaper. He kept everything placed on sheets of old newspapers.

We learnt our lesson though, bought our own houses (humble as they were) lived there and later bought our own good houses and subsequently, we became unintrusive landlords.

I worked with a guy back in the day and his landlady used to meet him in the evening as he came home from work and tell him that she had put the light on his bedsit to heat up the room.

Back