NorthWood Santry

• Thread starter richard Dunn
  • Start date
R

richard Dunn

Was looking at apartments in Northwood Santry, really liked the area/grounds. Heard a lot of stories wrt to
1) Antisocial behaviour- car stealing / drugs etc
2) Surrounded by dodgy area
3) Lots of rental properties there (neighbours changing etc)
4) Noise from students etc
Long term not sure how this place will turn out. neg equity etc. Any thoughts from people with experience of this development would be great. I really like the area and suits work etc, my preference is to live in an apartment long term.

It is a large development with hugely varying experience across different complexes and even different blocks within the one complex. My experience would be of very little anti-social behaviour around the living areas, possibly more around Eurospar and McDonalds. There is security that patrols Northwood and while I doubt they would stop incidents, their presence discourages trouble. I have very occassionally heard of trouble with cars but would more frequently hear of bicycles being stolen.

There are a lot of rental properties, around 80% in some of the developments. Different management companies enforce their house rules to varying degrees and this really impacts the quality of life whether the apartments are owned or rented.

Be aware that some parts of the development have issues with pyrite so very important to check that - as far as I am aware it is limited to a small part.

Overall it is a nice setting, accessible, plenty of green space, good access to public transport. It seriously lacks a local pub that you can walk to. IMHO the closer you are to the hotel/ Swords Rd, the better.

Thanks ontour, I have been looking at the temple court/gardens complex. There have been a few up there in the last while. Did you know if these are a victim of the dreaded pyrite?

Overall it's a very attractive looking development though the quality of the apartments vary. A large proportion of them are rental properties ( both private & rent allowance).
I'm not sure which schemes are affected by pyrite.

There is a reference in this article to [broken link removed]. It also featured in a RTE programme on pyrite, it was probably Prime Time.

The red brick developments beside the hotel were built as three seperate developments by 3 builders and have different management companies: Temple Lawns & Gardens, Temple Court and Parklands.

Northwood

While I dont live in Northwood , I live nearby and would go through Northwood on a regular basis whether it be to go to ikea or homebase and I can honestly say I have never seen any trouble up there.

There used to be a website called neighbours.ie which might have some useful info but defintely check about pyrite as that would be a major headache. Also with property prices how they are nowadays you might even get a house nearby for similar enough price

I have lived in Northwood for 7 years and would echo Ontour's comments. The park is a wonderful amenity, lots of greenery, very handy for town/M50 etc.

Although the majority of apartments are rented, because the development I live in is well-run and quiet, most are long-term renters who have made the place their home rather than as a stopover party pad. So a nice community has developed, I know most of my neighbours and it's a peaceful, friendly environment.

Northwood has been built for over 10 years now with the more established developments being built at the Crowne Plaza end, working its way up past TLC and along to Gullivers Retail Park. Personally I prefer the hotel/Santry end of the development (I think it starts looking a bit concrete-jungle once you get past the park) but that's not to write off other places further up. Lymewood Mews apartments are very spacious and although Carrington can look a bit uninspiring from the road, many of them have superb views overlooking the park and the playing fields.

I would definitely recommend Northwood as a place to live but as to whether it would be a good investment and whether prices have lowered to such a degree that you would escape negative equity, I couldn't say - and can't anyway on this site! :)

There is a reference in this article to [broken link removed]. It also featured in a RTE programme on pyrite, it was probably Prime Time.

Some of the ground floor apartments in Temple Court have Pyrite - as well as some of the indoor common areas. When the funds are put in place it will have to be dealt with. Upstairs apartments are not affected.

Back