Northern Rock Losing Competitiveness?

oldtimer

Following recent ECB increases Northern Rock have failed to pass on the full 0.25% to its savers. They have stated their on line demand account will increase from 4.30% to 4.50%, once again falling short. Other financial institutions have caught up with them i.e. Anglo Irish Bank are increasing their 30 day notice account from 4.25% to 4.50%. NIB are doing likewise with their Tracker Deposit Account and watch others follow with full 0.25%. I think it is disappointing to see Norther Rock remove themselves as market leaders. I feel they have got somewhat indifferent towards the Irish saver.

I think it's best neither to attribute nor exhibit emotional/human qualities like 'loyalty', 'indifference' or whatever to banks. They're in the business of making the highest profits they can by legal means; as savers it's up to us to seek the best possible return. NR probably calculate — perhaps correctly — that enough punters will remain with them out of inertia, so they will only move to match the competitors' rates if and when they reckon that to do otherwise will cost them more in lost business than they gain by not passing on the full ECB rate increase.

NIB are doing likewise with their Tracker Deposit Account

Do NIB currently have an ECB deposit a/c you can lodge a lump sum to? (There wasn't one listed on their web-site yesterday.). Am curious as will be updating the Best Buys in the next week to allow for the increases.

NR probably see Rabo as their main competitor. They have an [broken link removed] on their web-site at present (at least, I assume it's a typo and neither of their current rates are 4.75%!).

Probably the most competitive account at the moment is Irish Nationwide's FlexiSaver 21 - ECB+1% on balances up to €75,000. They may be reducing this for accounts opened in June; has anyone seem written confirmation that the original offer has been extended?

NIB tracker deposit a/c series 2 pays ECB+0.50% on amounts €20,000 to €50,000.
The Irish Nationwide Flexisaver 21 - ECB+1% on balances €40,000 to €75,000 is extended to 31st December 2007, according to their website.

NIB tracker deposit a/c series 2 pays ECB+0.50% on amounts €20,000 to €50,000.

That's Series II of the account. It's not available to new account holders, and current holders can't lodge to it. So if I wanted to deposit a lump sum today, it's not an option.

The Irish Nationwide Flexisaver 21 - ECB+1% on balances €40,000 to €75,000 is extended to 31st December 2007, according to their website.

ECB+1% is guaranteed until then, but the prospectus currently says the account can only be opened until end of May 2007.

I know the above sounds pedantic -- but I just want to get the Best Buys as correct as posisble. If you can find something on their web-sites that contradicts what I'm saying, please link to it.

:confused: What typo? I see 5.0% there at the moment...

When I posted yesterday the ad at the top said 4.75% rather than 5%. It's a flash ad, so maybe they rotate them, or maybe they put the wrong one up in preparation for a change.

Sorry Mugsgame. I base my knowledge on what the respective call centres tell me - I suppose this can be risky - should wait for website update. For example this morning I rang both Irish Nationwide and NIB -
(1) Irish Nationwide: Is the flexisaver 21 - ECB+1% still available? Answer ''Yes'.'' Is there a closing date? ''Middle of the month.'' Is there a date set? ''No.''
(2) NIB: Is the Series II ECB+0.50% still available? ''No.'' What option have you for €20,000? ''Regular Saver Account.'' What rate of interest has it? ''Will get your local branch to ring you back.''

Referring back to the original post - while it's disappointing that NR have not passed on the recent ECB rate increases in full isn't it the case that they are still pretty competitive on deposit rates for demand deposits of €1K+?

The FlexiSaver 21 rates that I see on the INBS are not up to date with respect to the latest ECB rate increase. Also - remember that INBS FlexiSaver 21 pays 5% only on €40K-€75K with 21 days notice for access. On €20K-€40K they pay 4.75%.

Agreed, but I always looked upon them as market leaders. Over the past 3 ECB increases of 0.25%, in effect, they have passed only 2 to their savers, i.e. they have increased by .15%, .15% and now .20% and that is the main point I am making.
By the way, with reference to my earlier post re NIB, they have rung back and pointed out, while their Tracker Deposit Account Series II is closed, their Regular Saver Account for lump sums is still available to new and existing customers.

NR probably calculate — perhaps correctly — that enough punters will remain with them out of inertia,

I'm probably one of those punters!!!! (and I really don't want to be :eek: )

If I transfer E74,400 from Northern Rock (E75,000, less 6 x E100,to cover July - December monthly saving of E100) I presume I could open the flexisaver account. Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks

If I transfer E74,400 from Northern Rock (E75,000, less 6 x E100,to cover July - December monthly saving of E100) I presume I could open the flexisaver account. Is it worth the hassle?
It's not much hassle and a quick crunch of the numbers should tell you whether or not it's worth your while. If you lodge close to the €75K limit for FlexiSaver 21 then you might want to have interest paid to another account so that you don't breach the deposit limits on the account. Note also that you can opt for monthly payment of interest at no penalty (i.e. no lower than the normal CAR unlike NR's monthly versus annual interest payment options).
Agreed, but I always looked upon them as market leaders.
But aren't they still at least in second spot for demand deposits of €1K+ behind Rabo who offer 5% on amounts between €1 and €10K?

Assuming you transfer €75,000 from NR (4.50%) to Flexisaver (ECB+1%) I think it calculates as follows for 6 months - NR would earn €1350, Flexisaver would earn €1500, allowing for DIRT - €150 into your pocket.

Thanks Clubman and Oldtimer. I hadn't thought of the accumulated interest!!!! So if I'm right in my assumptions the interest on a Rabo a/c also earns interest at a lower rate. If only the number crunching was easy for me:( . Thank goodness for the helpful people on askaboutmoney.

Thanks Clubman and Oldtimer. I hadn't thought of the accumulated interest!!!!
I don't understand what you mean?
So if I'm right in my assumptions the interest on a Rabo a/c also earns interest at a lower rate.
No - you get 5% CAR on up to €10K. Same rate as INBS on sums of €40K-€75K (albeit with 21 days notice of withdrawals). With NR you get 4.5% CAR on sums of €1K+ but if you opt for monthly rather than annual interest payments then the rate received is 0.25% less. Unless you need monthly interest payments then you should opt for NR's annual rate. Even if you don't deposit funds for a full year you don't lose out and get the full rate pro-rata to the date of withdrawal.

All rates above are gross and ignore DIRT at 20%.

you might want to have interest paid to another account so that you don't breach the deposit limits on the account.

I meant the interest. I'm a little clearer now, thanks again

I'm delighted with the Anglo Irish Bank move on rates as I went with them recently instead of Northern Rock.

Why? [broken link removed] are still paying less than Northern Rock other than on their regular saver account and long term fixed rate accounts - and particularly on their demand deposit account (3.80% gross CAR) which is the one most comparable to NR's Demand Online account. And this is before NR's increase from 4.30% to 4.50% gross CAR kicks in next month! Like the Indo in recent months I think some people are getting confused and missing the point that while NR may not be passing on ECB rate increases in full they still offer one of the best demand deposit rates for sums of €1K+. The Sunday Indo even recently urged people to avoid NR because they were "ripping people off" in doing this! :rolleyes:

Anglo are reputedly offering 4.5% on their 30 day notice account soon, which is a few weeks before NR offer 4.5% on their demand account. It's not a huge amount of notice to give to get a good rate that doesn't require you to have Internet access. Though if you don't mind giving notice, Irish Nationwide would be better still.

Their website still says 4.25% and doesn't say when rates will increase. NR make it clear when their Demand Online rate increases from 4.30% to 4.50%. Obviously specific terms & conditions might mean that one account is more suitable than another for specific individuals. However when judging things purely on access and deposit rate NR would still seem to beat Anglo and others for demand deposits of €1K+ as long as internet access only is not a problem. The way some people here and elsewhere are talking one would think that NR had dramatically slipped from the top or near the top of the deposit returns charts or something.

Back