north wall/ east wall - safe area???

hey
thinkin o buyin a house in north wall/east wall area
if anyone can fill me in on whether the area is "safe" i would seriously appreciate it
thanks

i know east wall quiet well and I don;t think I would live there, I know you;re very near city centre but there's very little down there, one pub and one shop that closes early. There are a lot of social problems in the area (this is related to my work & why I am familar with it) it ranges from damaged cars to break ins to more nastier incidents.

Friends of mine moved down there a few years ago - middle class outsiders as they were seen. They moved after lots of intimidation, stuff thrown at the windows, teenagers hanging around outside. Most locals very sympathetic, but nothing they could do. The last straw was when the man was badly beaten up by said teenagers.

Still, it might have changed. See related thread (can't remember what it was called) on living where you can afford as opposed to where you want. The best idea is probably spend some time hanging out down there, local pub etc, see what its like after dark.

good god....sounds like a mare....gaff is v nice but the price is pretty high ....any chances of it changing in the future with more and more professionals moving in????

11.11.18 said:
good god....sounds like a mare....gaff is v nice but the price is pretty high ....any chances of it changing in the future with more and more professionals moving in????

11- would u mind posting the guide prices/actual sale price of what your looking at down there? is it a 2/3 bed and in what part of east wall. there are some action plans available from the docklands authority but they only really cover church road area improvements. these plans are actioned for 2005 but as yet i cant see any work ongoing so i dont know how water tight they may or may not be...

check whether your prospective property was ever flooded (hint: if it looks brand spanking new inside!). the area was badly hit in 2002...

Price > 360
2 bed terrace
Any more info on the flooding ???? I completely overlooked that!!!!

11.11.18 said:
Price > 360
2 bed terrace
Any more info on the flooding ???? I completely overlooked that!!!!

lots more discussion including flooding and house insurance here

You'd need your head read to even consider living there.......

:(

Chamar said:
You'd need your head read to even consider living there.......

:(

interested to hear why you have this opinion? bad experiences? do you know the area well or is this a pass by in a car opinion.....fire ahead

lived on east wall rd in a rented house for 14 months, never had one incident, I was an "outsider" as well.I found the "natives" very nice, kids were cheeky but you get that all over.

Moved then to Nass and car was broken into on the first weekend !!

I used to work out that way (just changed jobs to city centre) and I passed through East Wall for a year and a half to and from work. My impressions of it was that it was a nice enough area. Salt of the Earth people and all that. Houses looked smart and well kept. The locals are inner city so there's bound to be trouble makers. I guess it'll totally depend on your neighbours.

If I were you I'd head down there some evening and check out what's happening in the area. Also call into some people around the house and talk to them about the area.

In that year and a half I did see one incident - a couple of junkies walking around. Not hard to recognise junkies. But I don't know if the area has a heroin problem or not.

I used to work on Amiens St - just up from the methadone clinic, so can testify that there is a heroin problem down that far. (not sure whether it stretches up to East Wall though)

just checked out a few areas on the south side - inner city south side....rialto just beside the fatima mansions.....hardly surprising that the EA's never mention that these housing estates are just around the corner...lots of junkies hanging around...complete waste of time....

seems to me that the north wall/ east wall area seems to be a better bet in the hope of future inflows of young professionals.....perhaps this is wishful thinkin also???

There used to be an Esso garage on the east wall road, and it attracted a lot of scumbags around there. But it has closed now and they seem to have moved on to somewhere else. They used to wreck the area, leaving rubbish everywhere, burning things, damaging cars, robbing cars.

Back