non runflat tyres for M Sport??

StaroftheSea

I'm getting new runflats for my beemer. I was told that I could replace the bridgestone runflats with ordinary non runflat tyres and that this would leave my car a lot softer on the road. When I mentioned this to the tyre guy he said that they had issues with this before. He said that the ordinary tyres worked perfectly on the beemers with ordinary suspension, but that they didn't work with the M sport suspension, that the car would be all over the road...

Has anyone tried using ordinary tyres with an M sport suspension?? Does anyone know anything about this?
Thanks

Non-RFTs

I put non-RFTs on a 3-series m-sport (07). Very happy I did it.

The non-RFTs are:
- cheaper
- more comfortable
- slightly less sharp on the road (only slightly mind)
- less noisy
- the handling is better

The car handles mid-corner bumps much better than before, and really the only downside is not having a spare tyre in the boot, but I've a can of tyre weld in there which should solve that issue when the day comes.

thanks bootdog, I rang the bmw garage today to ask them and they said it should be no problem, that a lot of their customers have done the same thing. Think I'll get myself some non runflats!
Actually Bootdog, did you contact your insurance to tell them of the change? Someone said that non runflats constitute an increase in the risk for the insurance company and they should be told????

Last edited:
You do know that you'll need to but a spare wheel now though as BMWs with runflats don't need one? I also have runflats and will be going "normal" the next time. Incidently, I find the car wobbles slightly when crossing white lines on the road .. anyone else get this?

You do know that you'll need to but a spare wheel now though as BMWs with runflats don't need one? I also have runflats and will be going "normal" the next time. Incidently, I find the car wobbles slightly when crossing white lines on the road .. anyone else get this?

depends on what car the OP has.
My E60 5 series MSport comes with 19" RFT and also a spare Wheel in the Boot :)

but my GF E90 MSport has 18" RFT and no spare wheel :(

Incidently, I find the car wobbles slightly when crossing white lines on the road .. anyone else get this?

I get that with low profile (17" 45s) standard tyres. Less rubber there so you feel everything on the road surface.
Leo

I own a 320D M-Sport 2008 and changed to non run flats and it definitely is worth it. The run flats cost an arm and leg to replace.
I did find on some tyres that I got "tramlining" - essentially car pulls in one direction like when crossing over white line or dips or troughs in the road. Nothing dramatic but noticeable all the same but it disappeared after changing to Bridgestone Potenzas which were very expensive but made a huge difference to the ride and handling of the car. Very happy with them (Note: are much cheaper to import online).
Didn't notify insurance company but don't see why I need to!?!? Its not a modification to the car and the car definitely handles better with the non run flats. If I change the oil in my car to something other than the manufacturer recommened oil I wouldn't expect to notify my insurance company! But hey just my thoughts on it!The downside is that I don't have a spare but in the 3 years i've been driving (quite a bit too) i've only had a slow puncture due to nail in the tyre. I carry a can of tyre weld and a mini compressor in case of emergency! And also insurance covers 24 hr breakdown.

Thanks for the feedback lads. I ended up getting two Hankooks non RFT on the back and while they were almost half the price of the RFT's I'm still finding myself thinking about the insecurity of not having a spare....I have tyre weld in the boot, but it's just not the same.....

I also get what I would describe as alarming wobbles when crossing white lines while overtaking. Brilliant on corners but pulling either way when I'm going in a straight line...... only really alarming though when I'm doing about 60, scared the living daylights out of me a few times.....

Back