Non Resident left Ireland permanently in 2010 - what to do with Tax Form 12?

Starbuck

I left Ireland permanently in 2010. My Tax affairs were all settled when I left.
I have no income there, and only remit small amounts to cover a mortgage payment.

I just got the Irish Revenue FORM 12 (Tax Return Form) for the year 2012 in the post.

What should I do with it?
Ignore it?
Tell them I'm non Resident?
Fill it in with lots of zeroes and return it?

Can anyone help with this?
I've written to the Revenue, but no answer from them either.
Its hard to hire an accountant just to answer this, when I don't even live in Ireland.

You have already done all you need to do: you have told the Revenue of your situation.

Bin the form.

You have already done all you need to do: you have told the Revenue of your situation.

Bin the form.

Suggest return the form to Revenue stating you left with clean Tax affairs and ask them to acknowledge that you have nothing more to do.

In that way you will get surety and if there is an issue (unlikely) they will contact you.

Is there any chance the Bank are still applying TRS to your mortgage payments? Maybe that's triggering the Form 12.

The OP has not stated whether the property where the mortgage is applicable is let or not. If it is a property that is let to another party, there is a duty to complete a Tax return.

Fill out the form and return it to Revenue. You don't need to fill in lots of zeros as it clearly states "Any panel(s) or section(s) that do not require an entry should be left blank."

Just complete the relevant sections. You'll note there is a box for you to tick if you are non-resident.

Thanks - the property in Ireland is not rented, and not getting TRS.
I guess I'll go through it and send it back with a cover note asking them to stop sending me this bumf. Will it work?

Back