Non-resident / inheritance tax on property in Ireland?

VulpusVulpus

Registered User
Messages
35
I'm living for a long time outside Ireland (EU), in a country where there is 0% inheritance tax on inheritance from parents.
If I inherit property from my parents in Ireland (and potentially cash assets but I expect there would be little in the estate), am I in any way subject to Irish inheritance tax and specifically the tax-free limits?

I searched on this forum and found a comment "Property in Ireland is liable to inheritance tax no matter where the deceased or successor lives."
If that is the case, fair enough, but then am I subject to the Irish lifetime inheritance/gift tax free limits, despite being non-resident?
 
Yes, if the donor, the recipient, or the property, is located in Ireland, then the gift is covered by CAT.

In your case, it would be covered by the fact that the property is in Ireland (also presumably your parents are Ireland, so two reasons).

Depending on the agreement with your country of residence and Ireland, there may be a double tax treaty. Though, if there is no inheritance tax in the country you live in, then there would be nothing to offset it.

Legally, it would be your responsibility to actually pay the tax. Though the executor is likely to make sure you pay it before giving you the money/asset, since he can be charged.
 
Back
Top