non resident, how long to qualify

joe sod

im just wondering how do you have to be outside the country to be classified as non resident? Can you be classified as non resident in 1 particular year if you have been outside the country for more than the required time in that year. How do you prove you have been outside the country for that time

In order to prove you have been non-resident for a period of time you will have to supply Revenue with evidence of all your day to day living costs, eg. utility bills for services abroad, receipts for car hire, petrol, payslips with your foreign address, visa card and bank statements relating to your time abroad and if it is a country where you need a residence permit after a certain period then that would be useful too. I imported a car from Spain a while back and these are the items I was asked for as evidence of my non-residency status so that I was allowed to re-register the car here in Ireland without having to pay VRT. I was out of Ireland for 18 months.

you are still resident if you are here for

183 days in the tax year or

280 days in tax year and the preceding tax year

A year with less than 30 days is ignored

Any part of a day here is included

If you are leaving for an employment you can claim split year relief which will remove the foreign employment from Irish tax once you leave.

http:
www.conlonosullivan.ie

I left in Sept 2009 and spent less than 30 days in Ireland in both 2010 & 2011. Does that make me a non-resident for my tax return for both of those years? I understand that I was still a resident in 2009 as I was more than 183 days in Ireland

Back