Non-profit Club running a conference - charge VAT?

tronman

Hi,

We have a Meetup/User Group, which is running a non-profit conference. We forecast that our intake from will be about 5000 EUR, between ticket sales and sponsorship.

We have read that entities whose turnover is less than 37,500 don't need to register for VAT.

Question: do we need to register for VAT? Also on our tickets and sponsorship, do we need to charge VAT and/or any other form of tax?

We forecast that our intake from will be about 5000 EUR, between ticket sales and sponsorship.

We have read that entities whose turnover is less than 37,500 don't need to register for VAT.

Question: do we need to register for VAT?

Haven't you answered your own question?

Lol. Sorry - I mistyped that.

It should have read - Do we need to charge VAT, even though we're not registering for VAT?

Lol. Sorry - I mistyped that.

It should have read - Do we need to charge VAT, even though we're not registering for VAT?
You can't do one unless you do the other. As you have no obligation to do so, you would be insane to register for, charge and pay VAT.

Ok - so just to confirm, anything we invoice (be it tickets or sponsorship), will be tax-free?

Should we make any mention that we're no VAT registered as we're a non-profit club on the invoices we send?

Ok - so just to confirm, anything we invoice (be it tickets or sponsorship), will be tax-free?

Should we make any mention that we're no VAT registered as we're a non-profit club on the invoices we send?

For my sins, I arrange events for a school past pupils.

Some people buy "tables" under their company name and we simply send invoice for total price with no vat mentioned, but we have advantage that everyone is known personally and they'd know we're not registered.

Possibly to avoid any queries, just add a line "vat not applicable" on the invoice.

For my sins, I arrange events for a school past pupils.

Some people buy "tables" under their company name and we simply send invoice for total price with no vat mentioned, but we have advantage that everyone is known personally and they'd know we're not registered.

Possibly to avoid any queries, just add a line "vat not applicable" on the invoice.

Why would you do that though, lots of things aren't applicable but you're hardly going to list them all. Unless a document makes reference to VAT, then anyone to whom VAT would be relevant knows that there is no VAT applicable.

Back