Non-habitable space when buying a house?

gatster

We viewed a house recently that has an attic room, permanent staircase and an en-suite.

There are all the appropriate certs for building regs but it is a non-habitable space owing to the fire regs and head space.

The thing is the agent has included it as part of the overall floor space for the whole property, but as it’s effectively storage I don’t think think this is correct. The house is pricier than similar properties because of this.

Any thoughts whether this can be questioned?

Any thoughts whether this can be questioned?

The house is only worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. It's been declared as non-habitable so nothing being hidden here. The agent may be stretching the facts a little but .... the house will still only sell for what it's worth at the end of the day.

There are all the appropriate certs for building regs

Are you sure about this? I don't see how there could.

Presumably though you have not gone sale agreed on it. You can certainly question it but you don't seem to have any cause to complain. If you're still interested bid what you feel is appropriate, otherwise you're best to move on.

I lived in a bungalow in the 80's.

It had a deep attic space and we converted it in to one long room about 30' x 17'. The roof space even had space for a mini attic in it. We were able to put a staircase from the ground floor to the space. Our 3 children used this room as their bedroom.

When we sold the house in the 90's, we sold it as seen. We explained to viewers that there was planning permission for an attic conversion and nothing else. They could decide what they wanted to do with it.

We sold it no problem to someone who wanted it.

If you want the house then purchase it for the price asked or don't.

If a house has a large walk in wardrobe, it is still including in calculations for floor space. This is no different. It just can't be called a bedroom.

Are you sure about this? I don't see how there could.

I have an attic conversion and as far as I know anyway have the appropriate cert for building regs.

Its an Architect’s Opinion On Compliance With Building Regulations.

It certifies that my conversion from a roof area to a non-habitable room complies with building regulations.

As it is non habitable the cert also states that my conversion is exempt from needing a fire safety cert.

If I ever sell I can't call it a room as officially anyway it is not a room.

Back