Non-EU student for short-term project

basilbrush

I would like to pay someone who is in Ireland as a non-EU student, and who has just finished a Master's at an Irish university, to do a small project for me. The total payment for this will be Eur 4.5k. It seems appropriate that the person should be considered as an independent contractor for this project, and I have a strong preference for that. The problem is that, although non-EU students are allowed to work in Ireland, they are apparently not allowed to be self-employed. Is there any way around this?

Thank you.

Just wondering why you require a non eu student, when there must be lots of Irish and EU ones, unless it is a very specific speciality project.

As they are finished studying they are no longer a student. If they do work for you as a non eu national they would require a work permit. There are some instances where they could be considered for a graduate scheme. Check out www.inis.gov.ie

@niceoneted Non-EU third level students are allowed to work for at least 12 months after graduation. This student will have finished a Master's, and so is permitted to work for up to 24 months on her student visa without a work permit, using the Third Level Graduate Programme.

As the payment will be less than 5k, could she simply report the income as non-PAYE income on form 12 (assuming she does not earn significant other non-PAYE income during the year)?

Back