Non Dublin car reg - second hand

cmalone

live in city. Looking at a second hand car in country garage. It’s two years old. Has county registration. Any negatives ?

Once it gets over the city cars making fun of its accent, it'll be grand. Just be there to listen when it's upset...

On a serious note, I remember 20 years ago country people had a preference for buying Dublin cars. There was a perception that they had had easier driving, had been looked after better, and they typically had lower milage. The flip side was they usually developed clutch or brake problems earlier if there'd been a lot of city driving.

Unless it's the kind of car that's had a tow bar and pulling heavy trailers regularly I'd ignore the registration.

live in city. Looking at a second hand car in country garage. It’s two years old. Has county registration. Any negatives ?

potentially many but none will have anything to do with reg plate or what part of the country it was owned and driven

exception being if it was used by a farmer to toe a trailer to the local mart ( so look for a toe bar ), luckily farmers only ever own a VW passat or a toyota avensis :D

It'd make me a bit suspicious if there's a low mileage on the car and the county is far from the city you are living in... I'd expect the car to have been used for a quite a few trips back and forwards.

It makes a difference in the executive/luxury segment, the car with a D will always sell easier in Dublin than a county reg, in the Dublin City motor trade some counties are less liked than others and prices reflect that, Dublin end user buyers simply dont like country registrations ...generally, CN,DL,LK,SO, KY being a few obvious ones, don't jump on me, it is better to have a county reg that borders Dublin if you want to sell any car on, I'm a KE and have had KE on new 5 series which I sold easily, If you buy a luxury car and stick your county reg such as say MO on it rather than D then good luck with that.

Flip side try and sell a D car in Cork....not as popular as a C reg down them parts.

I'm amazed that a country reg car wouldn't be a better buy that a D reg. With city driving in a stop start fashion due to heavy traffic, etc, i'd be very wary of a D reg but that's only my opinion

It makes a difference in the executive/luxury segment, the car with a D will always sell easier in Dublin than a county reg, in the Dublin City motor trade some counties are less liked than others and prices reflect that, Dublin end user buyers simply dont like country registrations ...generally, CN,DL,LK,SO, KY being a few obvious ones, don't jump on me, it is better to have a county reg that borders Dublin if you want to sell any car on, I'm a KE and have had KE on new 5 series which I sold easily, If you buy a luxury car and stick your county reg such as say MO on it rather than D then good luck with that.

Flip side try and sell a D car in Cork....not as popular as a C reg down them parts.
This is the potential case. An exec type car. Wexford reg. Wonder if I should worry or would be better to be looking at other things on the car Thanks for helpful comments to all

Matters less as it depreciates, how much is the car costing you.

The D reg is often down to the perception of the new buyer and the views of the new buyers family, neighbours, friends, something that is desired, reg is important, the difference in a one year old executive type car for sale with a D reg versus a LM reg could be considerable, less so as it falls in value.

Toys are important but get the reg right if spending good money, population is bigger in the wider Dublin area so there are more buyers looking for the D on their jammer rather than LD or similar.

It would be better if you had family connections in WX, if the car is right for you then buy it, when you come to sell it what will it be worth, say €10k, I don't think it will make any difference at that value and price point.

Last edited:
Back