Non-Contributory Pension Clawback After Death

Rainbowracer

New Member
Messages
4
Hello,

My father died three months ago.
He was getting the Non-Contributory Pension.
The DSP has written look for his schedule of assets.
It is savings only.
He is over the 20,000e threshold due to extreme saving and money obsession.
Do the DSP take back everything?

Many thanks
 
Hi Rainbowracer, from the previous posts the DSW will calculate the repayment. They will do so based on bank and credit card statements which you can supply. For each year that he did not declare to revenue that his means had increased to >€20,000 they will calculate what they would have paid him if he had made the declaration, and the amount he pays back is the difference. They will do this for each year.

I am sorry for your loss and it does look like his savings increased because you paid for his transport, food and clothes. It is probably a good thing you were able to afford this. They will be not be able to take back more than is their in assets.
 
Cooperate with the DoSP and supply all information they ask for. Do not hide anything. The department will look at all facts and figures and will ask for any overpayment to be returned. I cannot say how much that will be. It all depends on the amount of money your man had on his bank account. To give you an idea about the pension he was entitled to, check this out:
You may might be able to find out yourself to how much your father was entitled to.
 
Hi Forumuser and Clamball, thank you for your replies. I intend to cooperate fully with the DSP.
I found an assessment made in Sept '23 where he had 20,400.
The more I think about it, he died of secondary cancer on his brain.
I was his main carer, parents are separated.
He was losing weight and not eating properly I was cooking food and doing all the necessaries to try and keep him going.
He was just obsessed with money, could have been the cancer....anxiety... loosing control as he got weaker and the money was the one thing he had control over.
I understand that DSP don't make allowances for what I may have contributed.
I am sending what documents I have to DSP on Tuesday and will forward on the rest as soon as they arrive.
Thank you for responding to my query.
 
I would not worry too much. Your father's means in September 2023 were just 40 cent. Unless he did save his entire pension over the last 3 years to his death the overpayment was not too big. Check the up and down on his account for those 3 years to the final balance of his bank account and you should have a very good idea how much the DoSP will ask for.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Forumuser, the letter from DSP (requesting schedule of assets) was dated early June but only came through the door on 27/07 or 28/07.
I am next day and reg posting what I have statements and docs wise on Tuesday.
I asked at the PO was there an issue, the woman in PO said the postman/deliveries come from a depot in another town.
I am under pressure to clear his place as he did not own it... and while he did kept EVERY piece of correspondence, I binned most not aware that this letter was on the way.
Hopefully it will all work out okay.
Thank you for your help.
 
Since your father had a bank account there is no problem with lost paperwork. Old bank statements can be reordered and the DoSP keeps a copy of all their correspondence they send out. This will be very easy to solve. You can relax.
 
I am under pressure to clear his place as he did not own it... and while he did kept EVERY piece of correspondence, I binned most not aware that this letter was on the way.
If there's likely to be more residual post for him you should probably get it redirected or held at the sorting office for the next while.
 
Back
Top