Noisy Fusebox

herekitty

Have just moved into new rented accomodation. There is a strange noise from the fusebox. Sounds exactly like a bird tweeting.....but its not. Its really annoying and in the middle of the night sounds extra loud. Has anyone any ideas what this might be and more importantly how to stop it.

Thank you
:)

That sounds more like a smoke alarm, is there one close by?
If so it might just need a new battery or the circuit breaker could be tripped.

My fuse thingy also is noisy. When the door of the metal box enclosing the fuses is shut, there is a drone which vanishes when the door is open. The level of the drone is low and does not pose a nuisance. The whole electrical installation dates from the mid-60s, and a complete re-wiring, including a new circuit board, will take place within the next few months.

I hope this helps in determining a solution.

Have just moved into new rented accomodation. There is a strange noise from the fusebox. Sounds exactly like a bird tweeting.....but its not. Its really annoying and in the middle of the night sounds extra loud. Has anyone any ideas what this might be and more importantly how to stop it.

Thank you
:)

Usually the only thing in a fuse board/consumer MCB unit that can make noise while operating properly is the door bell transformer and any mechanical timer that may be present.

Anything else buzzing/arcing/humming needs checking out.

Dimmers can also cause the MCDs to buzz.

Never came across that one Towger and I have dealt with some cheap crappy dimmers that you would swear are hiding a swarm of bees(cheap triacs at work), but still silence back at the MCB.

loosen fuses one by one until noise stops and you will narrow down fault location

Back