Noise from piano next door

My son is a drummer and a few years back used to practice at home. We did everything in our power to soundproof the room and minimise the noise for the neighbours.

We came to an agreement with the next door neighbour about acceptable times to practice. I had no problem whatsoever when said neighbour asked for a bit more quiet when her son was doing his L Cert. Mine was too and his music was part of it, but that was our problem and not theirs!

Anyway what I'm saying is please do discuss this with your neighbour. They may not be aware that the sound is travelling so much. Approach them in a calm manner as I'm sure they'll be mortified when they hear it's been upsetting you so much.

If it's a relatively new piano there should be a practice pedal which dulls the sound considerably.............yes we have a piano too!

You do not need sound meter readings or witnesses to take a nuisance noise case in the District Court. Also you do not need a solicitor. It is a simple process and all you have to do is explain to the judge that the noise is causing a nuisance and interfering with your enjoyment of life in your house. The judge will nearly always find in your favour and instruct your neighbour to meet with you and come to an arrangement to your satisfaction. The cost of taking the case is negligible approx 20 euro. You can get details of how to take the case from your local District Court.

We are at the point of going to the District court

Anyone any idea how long the process takes from the point when you must inform the neighbours ?

You will be called to attend the District Court approx. 1 Month after you start the process. This attendance will be just to set a date agreeable to both parties to hear the case. This would usually be within the following Month.

Hi again bstop

Any idea how the hearing of the case goes - both parties put their case across right or is the format different ?

Ta again

Back