Noise from piano next door

Fubar

help, does anybody have any ideas to help me. We live in a semi-detached home and next door is a family who play their piano constantly. It is a 'grand-style' piano, and it is audible, especially in our upstairs bedrooms.It can be quite annoying as I study at night also. We have passed subtle hints that we can hear their piano , as I dont want us to fall out over this. However it has now come to the stage that I must confront them but I want to have some suggestions. Somebody says it is possible to fit a 'silent-leg' to pianos? Please help. There must be some way of reducing the noise level.

To be fair, children could be learning piano & practice is pretty essential.

However it should be possible to negotiate with your neighbours and agree that practise will finish at certain times.

Oh you have my smypathies having been there myself as a child/teenager the only thing I can suggest is to work out at what times of the day would be least intrusive for you that they could do their practice.

Suggest several slots and be open to compromise while explaining how disruptive it can be as the walls are so thin. Try to be subtle...a thing I'm useless at. :(

Unfortunally there is noting you can do as far as i am aware now unless the house is rented then there might be something you can say to the landlord. There is a law when it comes to noise but i cant remember what the time is did you try putting into goggle.

Think its 9pm. The 1st thing you need to talk to them, explain the issue in a very calm manner. They may not be aware and might even be able to move the piano to another room. If you can't work it out you can have your walls re-done. There was a piece on RTE about this recently - on about the house.

Maybe the neighbours would consider moving the piano to the other side of the house? This would mean it would be further from the dividing wall.

Noise regulation details here.

It may be a nuisance but could you study in the far side of your house or put on a set of good headphones to eliminate the noise?

Try to arrange a cut-off point for their practice of say 8/9 p.m.

As you say its not worth fighting over.

The next door neighbour could also be studying (the piano) which leaves him/her in the same position as you. Only difference is his/her study is noisier than yours. If this is the case you need to negotiate study times carefully.

Do not "confront"

It is a 'grand-style' piano, and it is audible

Audible ?!

No offense but a strange word choice to refer to what you seem to regard as a noise nuisance.

Just how loud is it?

Sounds transfer in a semi - some worse than others.

But on second thought? Well, if that's a grand piano, it means it sounds classical. It should help you with your studies. You just have to be open and accept the music.

Sorry but this is a load of rubbish

But, definitely, you have no right to ask them to stop.

Actually if you read the link that Sue Ellen posted, the OP has every right to ask them to stop

You probably shouldn't ask them to stop, but if they can afford a grand piano, perhaps they can afford some sound insulation for the walls. My friends in bands make that stuff out of foam for virtually nothing.

Well, if that's a grand piano, it means it sounds classical. It should help you with your studies. You just have to be open and accept the music.

What? This is a ridiculous suggestion!!! Why should the OP be ópen and accept the music'? Are they not entitled to peace in their own home? What if it was a drum kit?

But, definitely, you have no right to ask them to stop.

Course the OP has a right to ask them to stop!! Stop making noise that is - how they do that is their business.

Plan A. Take note of the time they play the piano. When you see the sequence, then adjust. Study at those hours

Why should the OP live their life around someone elses piano playing?

Plan B. Ask them regarding your situation. Then, compromise with the schedule.

Why does the OP need to compromise at all? They are being disturbed by noise. It doesnt matter if its a piano, a screaming child, pumping dance music, heavy metal, industrial tools etc.... Its NOISE and the OP is entitled to peace in their own home!

There are noise regulations in place so the OP doesnt have to put up with this - Op read Sue Ellens link.

Personally Id go and talk to them - they should have soundproofed the room the piano is in if its in frequent use.

Are there noise muffle headsets for pianos? I know people who have them with drum kits and they work brilliantly. My sympathies OP.

Hi,
We are having a similar situation with next door and a drum kit.
You are protected under the EPA Act 1992 and also under the tort law of nuisance. You are entitled to peace and enjoyment of your own home and can take a case to the district court for a nominal fee. Only thing is whether or not you are being reasonable...i.e, how loud is the noise? a certain amount of everyday noise will travel through partition walls. You will most likely have to get sound monitors installed to compare the difference in the ambient noise levels and noise levels when the music is being played. This can then be used as evidence in court.

however first you need to approach your neighbours and try to come to some compromise. otherwise you will not be seen as reasonable. And you need to consider how it is really effecting your life, i.e. is it a tolerable noise one would expect to hear in the course of everyday life and is not interfering in the peace adn enjoyment of your home.

Maplin sell sound level [broken link removed] that might help documenting a history of such noise.
Leo

Maplin sell sound level [broken link removed] that might help documenting a history of such noise.
Leo

These can be used for your own information but if it's a case that it goes to court you also need a 'witness' to the fact that the noise levels being recorded are from the actual nuisance noise and not from noise you are making. The sound monitors are not able to decipher different noises, they just show that noise is occuring. The wittness can be a Garda or someone like that but it's prob better to get a professional company to install and witness the noise being made and then act as a witness for you in court. It's costly - over 1k, but really the only way the evidence will stand in court.

There is a house on my road where someone regularly played a tuba a few years ago. You could here it from ten houses away. I really felt for the houses either side of it.

I would have a word with them. You say you've dropped hints but are you sure they were taken up? If they were playing it for an hour or two during the afternoon I would say fair enough you have to live and let live a bit in a semi-d. But at night time I think a bit of consideration is in order. Hopefully, they'll be accommodating and not do the highly indignant, surprised anyone would complain act which so many people seem to do nowadays if they're asked to keep the noise down/their kids under control etc.

Back