Noah Donohue

cremeegg

The death of Noah Donohue is a terrible story that seems to me to have been deliberately ignored by much of the media.

On Saturday, June 27, 2020, the naked body of Noah Donohoe is found in a cavernous, unlocked storm drain behind Northwood Road.

The most detailed account I can find, here, https://medium.com/crimebeat/the-deeply-disturbing-death-of-noah-donohoe-3a6b7cd951bc is on a site I had never previously heard of.

The suspicion that he was murdered is almost inescapable. The police inquiry seems hesitant to say the least.

What is going on?

There's something deeply disturbing about this story.
For me it brings back memories of Philip Kearns.

It certainly is strange just how little coverage it has been given. The similarly tragic story of Nora Quoirin got a huge amount of coverage here so why so little about this story?

It certainly is strange just how little coverage it has been given. The similarly tragic story of Nora Quoirin got a huge amount of coverage here so why so little about this story?
I hadn't thought of that contrast but you are absolutely right.

Its a NI/ GB murder so maybe its been covered in the media up there/ over there. Why would it necessitate any news coverage in RoI? We have enough killing/ mayhem going on here to be reading about.

It was two years ago. There was huge coverage at the time. It deserves more coverage but so do a lot of things. Look at how you now actually have to go looking to find out what's happening in Ukraune...plenty of missing people whose stories only reappear every few years..

It is a strange story though. Now sure I think much of SF pushing for answers but the family deserve support.

It certainly is strange just how little coverage it has been given.
I remember reading about it at the time but it didn't get huge notice.

It seems to have got some more media traction recently as politicians have got involved.

When I read the details recently of the case I was really puzzled. For the death to be accidental you would have to believe that an otherwise normal 13-year-old spontaneously discarded his clothes, cycled around naked, and then descended into an unlocked storm drain to drown. Highly unusual events do sometimes occur but I think there will inevitably be question marks around this awful death for a long time.

I remember reading about it at the time but it didn't get huge notice.

It seems to have got some more media traction recently as politicians have got involved.

When I read the details recently of the case I was really puzzled. For the death to be accidental you would have to believe that an otherwise normal 13-year-old spontaneously discarded his clothes, cycled around naked, and then descended into an unlocked storm drain to drown. Highly unusual events do sometimes occur but I think there will inevitably be question marks around this awful death for a long time.

It did get a lot of coverage. Both sides of the border. The issue with this and all these stories is that people don't care enough for long enough. It's human nature. Three children died in a house this week in horrific circumstances. It was in the main news for one day with a couple of small follow up stories.

The idiot locked up for contempt of court got more sustained coverage over the past few days.....

It did get a lot of coverage. Both sides of the border. The issue with this and all these stories is that people don't care enough for long enough. It's human nature. Three children died in a house this week in horrific circumstances. It was in the main news for one day with a couple of small follow up stories.

The idiot locked up for contempt of court got more sustained coverage over the past few days.....
I have a hunch that is partly because media outlets seem to have dedicated reporters \ setup at courts.

It did get a lot of coverage. Both sides of the border.
I don't think it did Sunny. Given the nature of what happened, the number of unexplained things in this case and the fact that there is still not even a whiff of a suggestion that the police have a clue what happened here, the amount of coverage has been strangely sparse.
It is not at all comparable to other stories such as what happened at the weekend in Tallaght.
Usually when there is death and mystery the media are all over it, but not here. Something tells me there is something darker going on with it. Somebody is keeping it quiet.

I was in Belfast for work the week he disappeared and it did get an awful lot of coverage up there. I got the impression at the time that the PSNI had made a hames of the search process and perhaps not listened to the family. Now, you have to wonder what it is they are trying to cover up.

Why should it be necessary to withhold information in this case in particular?
Because the PSNI most likely spoke to a confidential informant in the course of the search and they don't want his name being read out in open court. There is an innocent explanation here. I can accept that it is difficult for the family in this case.

Because the PSNI most likely spoke to a confidential informant in the course of the search and they don't want his name being read out in open court. There is an innocent explanation here. I can accept that it is difficult for the family in this case.
There are ways and processes around a confidential informant giving evidence, ranging from the inquest being held in camera to the coroner or judge granting a witness anonymity order. It's a well proven path so why would it be such an issue now?

It's a well proven path so why would it be such an issue now?
I don't know and can only speculate. I can imagine many hypothetical scenarios however where security services would have legitimate reasons for not wanting information about a CI to be aired in any venue, even in camera. That has to be weighed up against the rights of the family to know and the general principle of this stuff being done in public.

The ultimate decision was taken at the level of the Secretary of State for NI so I would imagine there was pretty serious thought put into this.

I don't know and can only speculate. I can imagine many hypothetical scenarios however where security services would have legitimate reasons for not wanting information about a CI to be aired in any venue, even in camera. That has to be weighed up against the rights of the family to know and the general principle of this stuff being done in public.

The ultimate decision was taken at the level of the Secretary of State for NI so I would imagine there was pretty serious thought put into this.
Agreed, but it is, in effect, a state sponsered cover up with no clear reason being given why that is so, Given the questions about the PSNI's original behaviour around the search at the time as well and the fact that a report on their behaviour is amongst the documents being restricted then you have to wonder, who are they covering for and why?.

But isn't that just because the storm drain access wasn't locked? It doesn't go any way towards clearing up what actually happened.
You might be right, but then how could you even consider bringing such charges unless you knew how he ended up there. There's something off about this case.

Back