No water

shaking

Irish water were working on our road during the week. The water was turned off for the day on Thursday. All fine since then until about 4pm when we discovered there’s no water in any of our taps except the kitchen cold tap.

I’ve tried online steps to release an airlock in the kitchen but that hasn’t work. We have subsequently discovered our water tank is empty.

Our house is being rented out tomorrow for a week, does anyone know how I can fix this problem.

We have subsequently discovered our water tank is empty.
What water tank?
Most houses have a direct feed from the water mains for potable water.
Tanks are usually in the attic for washing, toilets etc. but not for potable water.

Do your neighbours have water ok?
If so then could your feed have been switched off at the meter outside?

The kitchen tap will be from the mains, everything else from the tank in the attic. So the mains is obviously on but it is not making it up to the tank in the attic.

Is the pressure normal at the kitchen sink, maybe it wasn’t turned back on fully so there isn’t enough pressure to push water up to the tank in the attic? Can you see manually operate the valve in the attic tank by moving the ball/arm up and down? Did you adjust any isolation valves under the kitchen sink or near the tank that might still be closed?

Direct feed from the mains to the kitchen tap is working. Our water tank is in the garage it’s for washing, toilets etc. neighbours water is all fine

The kitchen tap will be from the mains, everything else from the tank in the attic. So the mains is obviously on but it is not making it up to the tank in the attic.

Is the pressure normal at the kitchen sink, maybe it wasn’t turned back on fully so there isn’t enough pressure to push water up to the tank in the attic? Can you see manually operate the valve in the attic tank by moving the ball/arm up and down? Did you adjust any isolation valves under the kitchen sink or near the tank that might still be closed?
The pressure is normal in the sink. Our tank is in the garage not the attic, we can see and move the ball/arm up and down. It sounds like water is trickling in very slowly. We didn’t touch any isolation valves

Not a plumber, but I don’t think an airlock is very likely in the mains feed to the water tank. If all the valves are open then my guesses are that the mains pressure is not high enough to get water up to the tank or that the ball valve at the tank is faulty or jammed with debris following the work.

Not sure your plumbing skills, but you could turn off the main isolation valve then disconnect the tank fill valve and see if you can blow through it to confirm if it’s stuck/faulty.

Thanks for the replies, @Zenith63 not sure I’d have the skills. The valve is in the tank, we can’t really see it. I’m guessing I should probably wait for a plumber

Not a plumber, but I don’t think an airlock is very likely in the mains feed to the water tank. If all the valves are open then my guesses are that the mains pressure is not high enough to get water up to the tank or that the ball valve at the tank is faulty or jammed with debris following the work.

Not sure your plumbing skills, but you could turn off the main isolation valve then disconnect the tank fill valve and see if you can blow through it to confirm if it’s stuck/faulty.

That's exactly what happened to me some years ago. I went up to the attic, unscrewed the feeder tank valve and out popped a bead of styrofoam which had blocked the feed, followed by a stream of cold water! I got very wet, as did the adjacent attic insulation, but the problem was solved!
(Note to self - next time, remember to turn off the main isolation valve first!)

Last edited:
Back