No VAT charged on sales in first VAT return. Is this ok?

LITTLECBEAR

Hello

I am self employed and I elected to register for VAT on March 1st. The application is still pending but when I called the VAT office I was advised that it will be back dated to the date of application and thus I can reclaim VAT purchases from this date.
They also confirmed that I will be unable to charge vat on invoices until the application is processed and I receive my VAT number, which should be in the next week or two.

I am just wondering will it seem strange on my first VAT return that I will have no VAT on sales entries when in fact I did have sales in that month.
Should I note this issue with revenue or is it something that they presume will happen in the first weeks pending registration?

Many thanks

S

That's correct. Seems strange, but in many cases you are purchasing goods and services that will add future value or be sold in the future so in a way its quite fair for this to be permitted.

I would check with an accountant to be certain.

Last edited:
That's correct. Seems strange, but in many cases you are purchasing goods and services that will add future value or be sold in the future so in a way its quite fair for this to be permitted.

I would check with an accountant to be certain, but I think you put any sales to to the date of vat number being given into the exempt box and the balance of sales for the period into the relevant rate box.

Bad, bad advice.

Get professional assistance.

I did say that.

In any case, revenue are very easy to talk to and will give you the correct procedure.

Talking to Revenue is not professional advice. Revenue are in the tax collection and administration business, not the advice business. They routinely disown, and disclaim responsibility for the consequences of, bad or misleading advice or guidance given to their "customers".

Back