No Toilets Cork to Dublin

Do they really do this? i.e. charge more at service stations than they do in their regular high street outlets?

Yes, quite a bit more. And it is rare to find any of the headline offers you see on the tv in any of the service stations.

Even the bank machines in the service stations charge an extra £2 to let you take your money out.

I don't think we have the volume on the roads to warrant a private company opening a rest stop 24x7. Any public toilets provided for would be destroyed. It's only 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive between the tunnel and Bewleys on the Naas road...go to the bathroom before you go and make sure the car was fuelled..don't think it's too hard (have done the journey many times with a toddler to boot).

It's only 2 to 2 1/2 hour drive between the tunnel and Bewleys on the Naas road...

But the RSA recommend we take a break every 2 hours.

Our research shows that 7 out of 10 people (67%) are now taking breaks within two hours of driving, compared with 53% in 2008. This is a very positive shift in behaviour as research tells us that driver fatigue could be a contributory factor in as many as 1 in 5 driver deaths in Ireland and can be as serious as drink driving.

Indeed many cars alert the driver at 2 hour intervals. Surely if the wisdom is that a break every 2 hours is necessary then service stations should be available on M roads for those who travel from Letterkenny, Claremorris, Ennis, Tralee, Bantry etc. etc.

As I said above, I would expect to see more of these service stations to be built in line with road safety standards.

As I said above, I would expect to see more of these service stations to be built in line with road safety standards.

Not until the NRA gets funding for them and I can't see that happening anytime soon. They have already said it will be 2011/12 before they look at it.

But the RSA recommend we take a break every 2 hours.

In fairness it's just over the 2 hour mark. There are also "P" locations along the way so you can stop for a short rest - just bring a flask of coffee. I accept that there is still a lack of toilets - detours are available though and agree that distances from the motorway would be helpful.

Drove the new Cork to Dublin motorway for the first time at the weekend, heading for Abbeyleix, have to admit I was surprised at how far Durrow was from the Durrow exit and the fact that the road "over the hill and down the hollow, all the way to Ballacolla" (my wife tells me it's a local saying) is not the greatest.

Having said that, we always stop at Horse and Jockey, it's less then a minute from the motorway, full hotel and bar there so great for a comfort break and not soulless at all. As for fuel, fill the car before you leave, simple as that

Having said that, we always stop at Horse and Jockey, it's less then a minute from the motorway, full hotel and bar there so great for a comfort break and not soulless at all.

+1 - was always a good stop.

Of course, the question that should have been asked before now is why would anyone would want to go to Cork?

What annoys me about Bus Eireann is that that their online system is so poor - you cannot even purchase tickets on stops bewteen the major cities online in this country.

If you are going from Cork to Dublin - Aircoach provide a better service
Limerick to Dublin - JJ Kavanagh
Cork to Galway - Citylink
Dublin to Galway - Citylink

Another crib -are we still without a transport regulator?

Having said that, we always stop at Horse and Jockey, it's less then a minute from the motorway, full hotel and bar there so great for a comfort break and not soulless at all. As for fuel, fill the car before you leave, simple as that

+1 on horse and jockey hotel, lovely bakery on site too . . .

In fairness it's just over the 2 hour mark.

147 miles Newlands Cross to Dunkettle roundabout. You'd be doing well to maintain a constant 70 all the way. Even the tag lanes on the toll gates require you to slow down.

As already posted, for a drive of that length, is a break necessary ? We drove 4 hours to North East Donegal in July and broke the journey in Aughnacloy. Timewise that was about the half way point. If that trip was 3 hours, I'd say I'd keep going.

147 miles Newlands Cross to Dunkettle roundabout. You'd be doing well to maintain a constant 70 all the way. Even the tag lanes on the toll gates require you to slow down.

In my earlier post I stated 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The speed limit in 120kph for most of that which is 75mph, so it's still not far off.

No. Even from certain stops bewteen Cork & Limerick - you cannot buy Bus Tickets online from the Bus Eireann Site.
Can you be more specific? I've just tried buying a ticket from Buttevant to Limerick, and I've got as far as the credit card number.

What trips (start/end point) cannot be bought online?

There was a guy on one of the radio chat shows recently talking about his frustration at not being able to advertise the Midway restaurant area on the M7 & M8 motorways. It's just off the motorway at Portlaoise, handy for those heading from Cork & Limerick.

Last time I travelled from Limerick I decided to stop off at the Midway. Food court serving various types of food (not the cheapest, bit like the service areas mentioned earlier), but there were toilets, plenty of parking and it is very close to the motorway exit (think it's no 19 but don't quote me!).

(no connection to anyone in the Midway, just happened to be a customer).

Thank for saying what I was thinking Roker.Any bus i travelled on in the states had toilet facilities and likewise the bus we travelled on recently from manchester to blackpool had the same.I noticed somebody mentioned fluid intake,try telling that to your 74 year old mother in law who does not travel well,(just hold on for another hour).As far as driving is concerned applegreens have secured the contract to provide the service stations that you might have to use when in need of a very expensive sandwich ,but at least you can use the loo when they get around to actually putting them in place.It might be the cynic in me but I wonder who had their house painted for free for that contract.Retrospective thinking as usual ,not enough cop on to think ahead.On a similiar note we are getting our drainage system replaced ,so our utility room is about to be dug up and then we are retiling the floor,not retiling the floor and then digging up the utility room.No place for me in politics or thr NRA then.

Back