No spouse or dependants

WorstPigeon

I'm single and have no kids; my parents are alive. I don't have a will. If I were to die, what happens to my assets? I assume they'd just be split evenly between both parents? If I'm happy enough with this arrangement for now, is there any reason to write a will?

Not that I'm expecting to die anytime soon, but I did wonder what'd happen when I was on a plane that was having trouble landing a while back...

God forbid that your parents should outlive you; but it does make things easier if you have a will and perhaps a letter of wishes if you have a view on how you'd like your funeral to be conducted etc.

You might have personal items that you would like to be given to a particular relative or friend, like a watch, jewellery etc.

I'm in exactly the same situation. Both my parents are alive. I'm an only child and am not particularly close to any of my cousins. I have two really close friends but one has expressly said he doesn't want to be part of any will proceeds (it would cause friction with his wife as I'm his ex and she doesn't like him having anything to do with me). The other is terrible with money and I wouldn't trust her not to just fritter stuff away. In any event this would incur a huge tax liability and my house is in NE. I'm not desperately into dogs or charities. However I don't want it going to the Government.

Back