no rights self employed

F

fluffybuffy

hi i am married to sole trader, largly in deth. I have worked soiled for 2 years with no wages as every penny goes to pay deth. Tryed the welfare no joy they saw money in as income even through i proved all was on deth.As it stands husband can not employ me with state benifits or our grown unemployed children and I cant get welfare.Why is this fair and why am i been blamed for trying to suport a business.Where did my rights go we are called non people by the state.Got jA at 8 euro a week took it off me in last buget.This is how my country treat the people that tryed to make it for them selfs.
Cant sell business, cant pay my full deth, cant get welfare= Non Irish person=Wife of self employed man.

Are you talking about him being in debt?

If the business is going badly, can you get a job with a different company altogether? Then you will qualify for social welfare, and you will have an income apart from the business which is going so badly.

hi i am married to sole trader, largly in deth. I have worked soiled for 2 years with no wages as every penny goes to pay deth.
It sounds like you're expecting the State to cover your business debts for you. That's not going to happen.

It sounds like you're expecting the State to cover your business debts for you. That's not going to happen.

My understanding of the post was that self employed are not entitled to the social welfare safety net, despite paying for it.

the right to a job recognition

I hope to pay all job deths thank you, due to non payment of clients my point is i can work in my husband stugling business - with no rights or recognition by the state now or in the future as long as im in this situation. A lady that works partime for my husband has rights and benifits I do not exsist as an employee by the stste or the welfare sistom.

First off, can you learn how to spell. If the business is do bad, why not get out of it and get your self a job. You also say that you have unemployed grown up children, are they on sw.

There are plenty of jobs out there, sure they may not be great paying(Mcdonald's cafe's etc). I was looking for a job second job last week and I got a offer for the first one that I applied for .

You need to take control of your life and accept that only you and you alone can dig yourself out of this hole.

First off, can you learn how to spell. If the business is do bad, why not get out of it and get your self a job. You also say that you have unemployed grown up children, are they on sw.

There are plenty of jobs out there, sure they may not be great paying(Mcdonald's cafe's etc). I was looking for a job second job last week and I got a offer for the first one that I applied for .

You need to take control of your life and accept that only you and you alone can dig yourself out of this hole.

You should really proof-read your own posts before commenting on someone else's mistakes.

My understanding of the post was that self employed are not entitled to the social welfare safety net, despite paying for it.
Self employed do not pay the same PRSI as employees, therefore they don't get the same cover as employees.

Self employed do not pay the same PRSI as employees, therefore they don't get the same cover as employees.

In some cases, a self-employed person will pay more PRSI than an employee on the same income, yet still be entitled to less benefits that the employee.

In some cases, a self-employed person will pay more PRSI than an employee on the same income, yet still be entitled to less benefits that the employee.

If this is true (I don't know the ins and outs of the situation) then you need to sit down with the accounts from the business from time to time and work out if it's worth your while keeping the business open, or shutting up shop and getting a PAYE/PRSI job. I'm not trying to be flippant, but if you aren't making enough in the business something has to give.

Ah-ha, details here on what you can claim on a Class S stamp for unemployment. You do not qualify (usually) for jobseekers benefit, but you can qualify for jobseekers allowance: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

I don't mean to be flippant but you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

The vast vast majority of self-employed people are barely making ends meet.

Where do you think they are going to get all these PAYE jobs that you are talking about.

As stated above, an employee in Class A0 (weekly wage under €352 - annual wage of €18,304) pays no PRSI at all. So an employee on €18,304 annual wage will pay €361 in PAYE and no PRSI at all.

A self-employed person on the same income will pay 4% PRSI (€732) and €2,011 in PAYE (because self-employed people don't get the PAYE tax credit) which is a total of €2,743.

This is a total of 7.60 times the amount of PAYE/PRSI that the employee pays

To add insult to injury, if the employee works for the self-employed person, the self-employed person must also come up with employer's PRSI which is another tax which amounts to another 8.5% of the gross wage of the employee. This figure comes to €1,556 which brings the total PAYE/PRSI payable by the self-employed person up to €4,299.

So the self-employed person now has to pay a total of PAYE/PRSI every year of €4,299 which is a whopping 11.91 times the PAYE/PRSI paid by the employee ON THE SAME INCOME.

HOWEVER, if this business goes bust, the employee is entitled to statutory redundancy (tax free) & also job seekers benefit for at least 12 months, irrespective of what other assets and/or savings they have.

The self-employed person is entitled to nothing. Granted they can apply for JSA which is means tested but why should the employee get JSB (non-means tested) when the employer / self-employed gets nothing.

Just to add that (on salaries greater than €18,304) a self-employed person will ALWAYS pay at least €2,094 more in PAYE/PRSI than an employee on the same income.

This is due to 2 things:

1. The first €127 per week (€6,604) of an employee's gross wage is exempt from PRSI. This equates to €132 per year (very small amount I know but I don't see the logic in it at all)

2. An employee is entitled to the PAYE tax credit while the self-employed person is not (equates to €1,830 per year)

Also, for salaries over and above €26,000, the employer's PRSI rates rises to 10.75% so even for a salary of €30K, the employer will pay a total of €5,319 more PAYE/PRSI than the employee, again with little or no benefits to show for it.

Back