"no proven link between alcohol consumption and marketing and sponsorship"

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Last edited by a moderator:
These were my thoughts too, same when there was the beginning of cigarette marketing and adverts many years ago. These companies spend billions collectively on marketing, if it is of little or no impact, then wouldn't your business be better off not spending billions?

However, they specifically say between consumption and advertising, which they may have a point on. Alcohol consumption isn't just related to adverts. Price, availability, culture, parenting, education, etc play an equal if not bigger role IMO in alcohol consumption.

From a sample pool of one, I may have been tempted to try a drink based on an advert (even then rarely) at the point of purchasing alcohol anyway, but I've never been encouraged to consume to excess alcohol because of sponsorship of Rugby or Football or anything else.

Price, availability, culture, parenting, education, etc play an equal if not bigger role IMO in alcohol consumption.

Very good point. From very young ages it is obvious to children that alcohol is intrinsically associated with celebrations. This could include religious celebrations, amateur sporting events, etc. The glorification of alcohol goes far beyond sponsored professional sport.

Sorry but you're all falling for the neo-prohibitionist argument and forgetting the basic fact that these companies aren't advertising "alcohol" they're advertising a brand - their brand - at the expense of other brands.

An interesting story on

If there is no link, then they should not be worried about a ban on sponsorship of sports events.

The main motivation behind corporate sponsorship of sport and the arts is to reinforce corporate branding. A fledgling brewery will never have the financial muscle to sponsor a major European rugby competition, so a multinational brewing giant can gain a competitive advantage by providing such sponsorship. The brand exposure means that they will sell more beer, at the expense of their smaller, non-sponsor rivals. But there is no evidence that people drink more beer overall resulting from the sponsorship.

The same logic applies to chocolate. Cadburys sponsor the GAA Under 21 Championships. But there is no evidence that GAA players and followers are over-consuming chocolate as a result.

all good points....but the Labour party know whats best for this country and they want this brought in....so FG will drag it out and Labour will be no more after the next election.
So a ban will not happen!

Responding to the call the Alcohol Beverage Federation of Ireland said "there is no proven link between alcohol consumption and marketing and sponsorship".

OK, that is what the drinks industry says but what does the other side say? Can they point to any scientific studies here or abroad that demonstrate indicate the counter hypothesis. ie that there is a link between alcohol consumption and marketing and sponsorship.

OK, that is what the drinks industry says but what does the other side say? Can they point to any scientific studies here or abroad that demonstrate indicate the counter hypothesis. ie that there is a link between alcohol consumption and marketing and sponsorship.

Steering Group Report on National Misuse Stratgey 2012
See page 56 - Impact of alcohol marketing on young people.

An extract is as follows………………..

"Young people are aware of alcohol advertisements and this awareness increases with age. The WHO states that the effects of exposure to alcohol marketing seem to be cumulative and can contribute to the normalising of drinking alcohol and eventually to increased levels of harmful use of alcohol in the population. International and Irish research has shown the importance of alcohol advertising in shaping youth attitudes, perceptions and expectancies about alcohol use, which then influence youth decisions to drink. 61-64

Young people have a particularly high awareness of, and exposure to, sports sponsorship.65 Marketing through sports sponsorship has been shown to attract young males, the group most likely to be heavier drinkers. Research from New Zealand has shown that sports players who received sponsorship at individual, team or club level were more likely to be hazardous drinkers and had an average AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) score 2.4 points higher than those who received no sponsorship.66

A small survey in Ireland found similar results to the international literature, with 16–21 year olds having a very high awareness of advertising and sponsorship. Awareness of advertising was highest for TV (93 per cent), followed by radio (31 per cent), outdoor advertising (25 per cent), online (10 per cent) and print (8 per cent). Guinness was the second favourite advertisement, and alcohol brands made up five of the top ten favourite advertisements in 2010.11 Four in ten surveyed reported owning an alcohol branded item of clothing, with 25 per cent owning a rugby/football jersey with an alcohol branded logo".
64. Gordon R, Mackintosh AM and Moodie C (2010) The Impact of Alcohol Marketing on Youth Drinking Behaviour: A Two-stage Cohort Study. Alcohol Alcohol. 45: 470-480.
65. Gordon R, Moodie C, Eadie D and Hastings G (2010) Critical social marketing - The impact of alcohol marketing on youth drinking: Qualitative findings. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing. 15: 267-275.
66. O’Brien KS and Kypri K (2008) Alcohol industry sponsorship and hazardous drinking among sportspeople. Addiction. 103: 1961-6.

It should be pretty easy to check whether the French ban on advertising alcohol at or through sporting occasions has had any impact on alcohol consumption there. Though of course that ban really affected beer more than wine, quelle surprise!

So just to be clear, the directors of the alcohol companies who have specific fiduciary duties to their shareholders, are sanctioning large expenditures on sponsorship that don't actually benefit the companies themselves?

Of course it makes a difference to brand awareness. Someone who wants to have a beer might choose Heineken based on their sponsorship of the rugby. The question is whether this sponsorship makes people who don't drink suddenly want to drink alcohol or makes people drink more. I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

Price and availability seem to be the factors that influence consumption levels.
Beer is often cheaper than soft drinks in shops. There’s no way it should be as cheap as it is.
If we want to reduce alcohol consumption levels then bring in a minimum price per unit, restrict where alcohol can be sold and then, if there’s still a problem, stop advertising and sponsorship of sport and sporting events. If a ban on sports sponsorship by drinks companies to be introduced I suggest that banning sponsorship by high sugar food and soft drink products should also take place; we all know alcohol is dangerous but I think the general awareness is lower of how bad for you “Sports Drinks” and high sugar (and salt) foods are.

So just to be clear, the directors of the alcohol companies who have specific fiduciary duties to their shareholders, are sanctioning large expenditures on sponsorship that don't actually benefit the companies themselves?

Forgive me for asking, but I'm just wondering, did you bother reading the earlier posts before posting this odd question?

Minimum unit pricing for alcohol was recently rejected in England but is being debated in Scotland at present.

There were claims in todays newspapers that the drinks industry deliberately distorted some of the scientific studies during the English debate.

Supermarkets 'distorted' scientific findings on alcohol

[Quote = Engilish Independant]

[Quote = English Independant]
Dr Jim McCambridge, who led the study published in PLOS Medicine, said: "There is a broad consensus internationally among researchers that the most effective measures to control problems caused by alcohol are to raise the price, control availability and restrict marketing activities. However, our study shows that key players in the alcohol industry constructed doubt about this wealth of scientific evidence and instead chose to promote weak, survey-based evidence, as well as making unsubstantiated claims to their advantage." [/Quote]

The question is whether this sponsorship makes people who don't drink suddenly want to drink alcohol or makes people drink more. I haven't seen any evidence that it does.

But with respect, are they the only questions, or are they the most important questions?

I think that the most importants questions are;
1/. Does the sponsorship at sporting events adversely influence children and young teenagers?
2/. In a society where drinking is a problem, and sport and fitness activities is an alternative, should alcohol sponsorship and advertising be allowed to be so dominant at sporting events?
3/. Can the major events survive without the sponsorship revenue?
4/. Etc, etc.

1/ More than seeing that advertising in other locations? Or are you proposing a ban on all alcohol advertising?
2/ I don't see that they are so dominant, there are plenty of other advertising at sporting events, or are you saying that they shouldn't be the named sponsor Heineken Cup/ Guinness All-Ireland etc
3/ Define major events? Are you only banning it at major events or all sporting events? If the former, they probably could survive.

Edit: Ok this is from the drinks industry but it is quoting cso statistics that show that alcohol consumption in Ireland has been in steady decline since 2001.
[broken link removed]

1/ More than seeing that advertising in other locations? Or are you proposing a ban on all alcohol advertising?

Certainly stop alcohol advertising on football jumpers for children, and possibly stop alcohol advertisements on TV during TV breaks in at half time for big events. I wouldn't ban all alcohol advertising but I would tone it down substantially.

2/ I don't see that they are so dominant, there are plenty of other advertising at sporting events, or are you saying that they shouldn't be the named sponsor Heineken Cup/ Guinness All-Ireland etc

After watching Des Bishop's excellent documentary series 'Under the Influence' I do think alcohol advertising is too prominant in both rugby and the GAA. Just my opinion anyway.

Are you only banning it at major events or all sporting events?

For the most part I am agreeing with the Steering Group Report in that it should be phased out / reduced from sporting events that are family orientated. I don't see a huge problem with things like the Jameson Film Festival where the audience is a little older or with the Cat Laughs Festival in Kilkenny.

Edit: Ok this is from the drinks industry but it is quoting cso statistics that show that alcohol consumption in Ireland has been in steady decline since 2001.
[broken link removed]

To be honest, this statistic surprises me. I have seen it before. I am not against people having a drink, but don't like to see alcohol abused. Last week's local newspaper stated that 50% of all crimes are committed locally by teenagers/ people in their early twenties who are intoxicated. The Steering Report talks about a significant proportion of beds being filled with alcohol related illnesses. There is a problem, whether or not the Revenue Commissioner's statistics illustrate it or not. But I'm not saying I doubt the accuracy of the Revenue Commissioner's statistics for one minute either.

Back