No probate Required but

tedmundo

Hi

My father passed away a few years ago and his will left everything to my mother with the family home already in joint names and one bank account in joint names so we were advised that a grant of probate was not required.

We never removed by fathers name for the deeds of the house

Recently someone asked us about the revenue affidavit but we never completed anything besides the annual tax return as probate was not required.

I am unable to see anything on the revenue website indicating anything had to be completed if probate was not require but can anyone tell me for sure?

or

if we go to remove my fathers name for the deeds now does anything else needs to be completed first?

I am in a fairly similar situation (deceased relative who left everything to their surviving spouse) Joint bank accounts didn't require probate to put them in the surviving spouse's name. The house transfer to sole name was also reasonably straightforward, see this thread
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=184831

Although in our case the deceased did have a sole bank account which will require probate and the affidavit. We haven't started the probate process yet as I am not sure if the assets transferred before probate (house and joint accounts) need to be included in the affidavit.

Back