No more house viewings after 1 week

Thanks everybody for all the advice. My original feeling was definitely one of this is very suspect. However, I am beginning to think that it was because of the huge interest and that the price shot way up.

If there are offers coming in on your house and you don't know about them, your EA is not doing his job. It's up to YOU to accept or reject offers, not the EA.

That said, if you're happy you have a good price from a good buyer, why not sell? Are you sure you're getting the market price? Who's to say that the other two properties in your estate - with the same agent - are not going the same way as yours. The agent is on a commission, which should mean it's in his best interest to get the highest price. But that all changes if there are kickbacks going on.

Smells dirty.

extopia said:
The agent is on a commission, which should mean it's in his best interest to get the highest price.
Smells dirty.
That's what I thought until I took the calculator out - an extra 10,000 on the price would only be an extra 100 euro in commission- hardly worth the hassle from his point of view - especially if he was of the lazy disposition!

As has been discussed numerous times on this forum before, the art of setting price guides is just pure guesswork. I have seen many cases especially in Dublin where the guide prices has been exceeded by 25%. At the end of the day, the house is yours and you are paying the EA to act on your behalf so you should be the one calling all the shots. Therefore I would hold on until I get an offer I am 110% happy with and would not be rushed into going Sale Agreed on the basis of what the EA says. Just out of curiosity what general area is the property in and what are you being offered at the moment?

trading_up - it seems pretty clear that your agent has taken you for a fool, and what are you proposing to do in response? Pay them thousands of euro for the privilege!

you are in no rush to sell, prices are only likely to rise over the coming months, but yet you seem to have a fear that firing this EA would lose you bidders and you won't get the same price again. What out of the extraordinary things has the EA done to make you think they're getting a better price than you could get with another EA? After all an EA really only shows up, takes photos, puts them on the web, lets people in, and then hits them with spiels on the house that most people ignore cos of their biased stance. Having it up on myhome and daft means the EA has to do very little - thats where most buyers look. Theres no shortage of buyers out there and you'll see the other two 'similar' houses getting snapped up for at least the same amount as your latest bid....I'd guess you'd get at least the same if you changed EA, waited for those sales to complete and then sold.

Reading your posts is annoying me as its the most blatant account of gamesmanship from an EA I've ever seen yet you are not prepared to stand up to them, and are happy to pay them several thousand euro due to what I believe to be an irrational fear that you won't get the same price again.

Have to say that I agree 100% with what OhPinchy says even if it is a bit too blunt!!!!!

A friend of mine is selling his property at the moment and had a knock on his door last night from a guy who said he was willing to go 15k higher than the offer that was currently on the property, but they had been told that the property was closed for negotiations, wasnt even mentioned to my friend (even though my friend hadnt accepted any offer). Needless to say, the estate agent got the boot this morning, lazy bugger

Exactly the same problem here. I am trying to buy at the moment. We see a house we like, we contact the estate agent and are told we are too late and that the negotiations are almost finished. We can't even get the latest offer out of them even though we are still interested and the house is still up for sale. Should they not pass all offers to the vendors and should the house not be available for viewing until it goes sale agreed? (Confused!)

I suppose there will always be problems of this nature as a property is not considered "sale agreed" until contracts have been exchanged, which can be some time after an offer is accepted.

Mary_K said:
Exactly the same problem here. I am trying to buy at the moment. We see a house we like, we contact the estate agent and are told we are too late and that the negotiations are almost finished. We can't even get the latest offer out of them even though we are still interested and the house is still up for sale. Should they not pass all offers to the vendors and should the house not be available for viewing until it goes sale agreed? (Confused!)

That's not quite the same. The estate agent may well be acting on the instruction of the vendor, especially if the house has been available for view for more than a week or two. It could be a case where the vendor is happy with the level the offers have reached, and has just said 'Okay, deal with whoever's in at the moment, and negotiate between the two or three of those'.

If you were cheeky, you could drop a note into the vendors yourself (explaining your position), but you'd want to be fairly sure that you were willing to go higher than what the bidding is at at the moment, or you might look a little foolish. Still, nothing ventured ...

extopia said:
I suppose there will always be problems of this nature as a property is not considered "sale agreed" until contracts have been exchanged, which can be some time after an offer is accepted.

That's not true, is it? I thought 'Sale Agreed' was when the offer had been accepted, and the booking deposit was paid. That's when the sign goes up anyway.

Fired the EA! - Looked for an explanation from the MD as to why prospective purchasers had been turned away - one wasn't forthcoming - so I ditched them as advised by many here! Should have done it sooner - feel much much better about it even if I get less when I go to sell again.

Back