No maternity pay as employer hasn't paid PRSI

L

larfie

Hi guys, I hope some of you can help me out here.

My girlfriends employer hasn't paid any PRSI contributions since she started there in 07. She's going on Maternity leave soon and as such she now won't be entitled to any maternity benefit. I work outside Ireland and so wasn't aware that she hadn't been receiving any tax statements (she's quite naive when it comes to tax)

I confronted her employer about it last week and he said he would back date her taxes. I told her to go to her local revenue office today and explain what's been going on, she asked if any contributions have been made since last week and they told her that nothing has been paid into the system so far. According to revenue she's been out of the system since 07.

She's due to go on maternity leave in 4 weeks. My question is, if her employer does back date her taxes will she still be eligible for maternity benefit within the 4 weeks?

Also, if I don't believe her employer when he claims to have backdated her taxes then who should I contact about it? Revenue seem quite passive about it IMO

A Social Welfare Inspector would visit or contact the employer on foot of an application for PRSI based benefit. Be worth contacting your local Social Welfare Office in the first instance and ask to speak to an Inspector who might be able to assist your Girlfriend.

A

does she have copies of payslips and P60s to prove her employment during this period. If she does (and she should) then SW will accept these and credit her with the weeks and then separately they will audit the employer. This is stealing - he deducted the tax/PRSI from her and didn't pay it onwards to Revenue. The employer is obliged to keep records of payroll for 7 years so she should be able to get these from him (although, I'm guessing he hasn't done these properly either if he hasn't been forwarding the deductions correctly). Contact SW and Revenue asap and probably give citizens advice bureau a call too and ask them for advice. This needs to get sorted out asap.

Back