No Longer working - Can tax be claimed back

Violet Rose

my husband was working from August - last week and a tax payer. As he was let go from the job is he entitled to claim tax back or does he have any entitlements -
Was he working enough weeks to earn tax back?
Can anyone enlighten me please?

For what period of last year was he working? When was he let go? Last year or this year?

Normally when somebody becomes unemployed for a while it makes sense to return a [broken link removed] unless they get a new job fairly quickly.

He should contact Revenue and ask them to prepare a P21 balancing statement for 2006 and he will get back any overpayments of tax that may have arisen. Normally you include a copy of your P60 but if he didn't get one because he was not employed on December 31st 2006 then perhaps a copy of his P45 and/or payslips might suffice. I recall somebody saying that this level of information was not necessary but I would err on the side of caution and send it in to be safe and to avoid delays.

If he was just let go then he should send in a P50 claim. He should also sign on with Social Welfare if he will be looking for a new job until he finds one.

thanks for that - he was employed August 06 until 26 January 07. His ex employer will be giving him his P60 and holiday money that is owing to him on Friday. Would he be entitled to unemloyment benefit/allowance while i am in full time work ?

He should ask Revenue for a P21 balancing statement for 2006 anyway just in case. In general I feel that people should request one as a matter of course because even if things seem to be in order there can be surprises (I know this from experience).

He should be able to claim back some or all of the tax paid for 2007 to date if he is out of work long enough for his credits to accumulate unused and cover tax paid to date. The P50 will sort this out.

Whether or not he is entitled to welfare payments depends on his PRSI records (Jobseekers Benefit) and means test (Jobseekers Allowance). Best to just sign on ASAP and ask at the local SW office about entitlements.

Back