No income, no savings, but refused welfare

AND a FAS course, and a Springboard course, and his fees, and most likely JSA when he finishes his course, as he has conveniently exhausted his means.

Really, the sense of entitlement, and the double standards, how on earth is this person 'more deserving', sounds workshy to me?

Fair enough, the Springboard course had no fees, I think.

There are fees for the current course.

The person does not have a sense of entitlement.

Yes, fair enough, in a few months, they will qualify, I hope, for JSA.

The person is seeking work, and has done some interviews.

But when you see friends in the pub every week, and on the golf course, and on long-term JSA, it would lead you to question the welfare system. They don't look for work.

Anyway, we'll just have to get on with it.

Well woe is me, you think they are more deserving than those the long term unemployed. All this person has to do is survive for 3 to 4 months. And there are many options for this person, rent a room, they can rent all the rooms in the house out for the next 4 months and get in 10K, owner to sleep on the sofa, pack the house with students. Get a job in McD, borrow enough for 4 months, based on an asset of 200K. Leave the house completely and rent it out and go sleep on a friends or relatives sofa etc.

Yes, I specifically do think that long-term unemployed who make no effort to re-train or look for work are less deserving.

Yes, you are correct, it's just a few months, and yes, they can/will get a lodger, and hopefully JSA at the end, or else a job.

But when you see friends in the pub every week, and on the golf course, and on long-term JSA, it would lead you to question the welfare system. They don't look for work.

I imagine that playing golf is good for someone who is long term unemployed. And I also imagine that the cost is relatively low compared to any other activity.

When you say in the pub every week, what value in money terms do you think it costs all these people?

Back