no claims bonus

galway_blow_in

some advice would be appreciated , my partner cancelled her car insurance policy a year ago having sold her car , she drove my car for a year under my policy , i gave her the car a week ago and when she tried to get insurance , the provider she was with previous ( AA ) told her they could not provide her with a no claim bonus because she was with them less than a year , add to that the broker she linked up with the last time she got a policy in her own name are no longer in business ( top quote )

is there some kind of central database which keeps a record of these things, she needs her no claims record for her new provider

would comreg be able to help ?

NCB accumulate on an annual basis. If she was insured for less than a year she has no entitlement to one. Was she on your car as a named driver for a year+?

N
NCB accumulate on an annual basis. If she was insured for less than a year she has no entitlement to one. Was she on your car as a named driver for a year+?

Named driver, yes

She is driving since 2006 But was only with last provider for a year

I gifted her my car

You don't get a "no claims bonus" as a named driver, but you can accumulate "named driving experience", more info below:

Do you have any policy documents from the broker indicating which insurer they underwrote the policy with?
There is a central database for members of industry group "Insurance Ireland", possibly worth giving them a call but could be a long shot - It may not even have been an Irish underwriter...
http://www.insuranceireland.eu/

Your named driving experience is the number of years you have claims free driving as a named driver on someone else's policy. Named driving experience must be consecutive (i.e. no gaps in cover) and earned in Ireland or the UK. It must not be used on any other policy and must be dated in the last 3 months. In addition, named driving experience must be claims free. Remember if you are sending us proof of your named driving experience you will need to request this from each insurer you were with, as this is not automatically issued.
https://www.123.ie/customer-care/my...ms-discount/how-do-i-prove-my-no-claims-bonus

It is up to each insurance company to decide whether to transfer "named driving experience" into a no claims discount should the named driver seek to take out a policy in their own name. You may have a hard time finding a company which will do this because of the (almost) year in which she drove under her own name.

So, she had a policy in her own name until a year ago, and has been named on your policy since?
How long had she a policy in her own name?
If she used her no claims discount when she took out her policy with AA, she'd have provided her cert to them. When she cancelled her policy, so long as she was claim free and didn't owe them money, AA should have issued a cumulative NCD certificate.

You don't get a "no claims bonus" as a named driver, but you can accumulate "named driving experience", more info below:

Do you have any policy documents from the broker indicating which insurer they underwrote the policy with?
There is a central database for members of industry group "Insurance Ireland", possibly worth giving them a call but could be a long shot - It may not even have been an Irish underwriter...
http://www.insuranceireland.eu/

Your named driving experience is the number of years you have claims free driving as a named driver on someone else's policy. Named driving experience must be consecutive (i.e. no gaps in cover) and earned in Ireland or the UK. It must not be used on any other policy and must be dated in the last 3 months. In addition, named driving experience must be claims free. Remember if you are sending us proof of your named driving experience you will need to request this from each insurer you were with, as this is not automatically issued.
https://www.123.ie/customer-care/my...ms-discount/how-do-i-prove-my-no-claims-bonus

It is up to each insurance company to decide whether to transfer "named driving experience" into a no claims discount should the named driver seek to take out a policy in their own name. You may have a hard time finding a company which will do this because of the (almost) year in which she drove under her own name.

thanks , i am aware that you cannot gain a no claims bonus while merely being a named driver on someone elses policy ,her period as a named driver lasted only a year , in hindsight she probably should have continued her policy even it was on my car

she lost the policy scheduele she had from october 2015 to october 2016 so doesnt know who the underwriter was ( broker is defunct ) , thats the source of the problem

So, she had a policy in her own name until a year ago, and has been named on your policy since?
If she used her no claims discount when she took out her policy with AA, she'd have provided her cert to them. When she cancelled her policy, so long as she was claim free and didn't owe them money, AA should have issued a cumulative NCD certificate.

she had a policy in her own name for at least seven years

her car was flooded in salthill in late 2013 so perhaps this is the spanner in the works as the car was a write off , she is very hazy about some of the detail so this info im posting is a bit all over the place

she might have to fork out a hefty premium by the looks of things

If her car was flooded - did she claim this off the insurance? If she claimed this, then she would not have a "no claims discount" from that policy. I know some insurers allow one or more claims that don't affect your NCD (which is a bit counter-intuitive), but without her documents she is stuck.

Just re-read the your first post - if she sold her car, she may not have claimed off the insurance.

If her car was flooded - did she claim this off the insurance? If she claimed this, then she would not have a "no claims discount" from that policy. I know some insurers allow one or more claims that don't affect your NCD (which is a bit counter-intuitive), but without her documents she is stuck.

Just re-read the your first post - if she sold her car, she may not have claimed off the insurance.

she only sold her last car a year ago , she claimed off a previous car which was destroyed by floods in late 2013 , how many years claims free do you need to be ?

Maybe if all the relevant information was posted, succinctly and chronologically in a single post, your questions(s) would be easier to answer. Forget brokers, who were her insurers?

I know some insurers allow one or more claims that don't affect your NCD (which is a bit counter-intuitive),

Just for awareness, this only applies to that particular insurer, and will not apply if you choose to change insurers. If you make a claim under one of these protected policies, at next renewal the documents supplied will include details of the claim, so you will be unable to switch with the benefit of a full NCD. So it is a means of trapping customers with that insurer until they build up their NCD again.

Back