No Claims Bonus Query

machu

In January 2013 I was the victim of a scam that cost my insurance company 60k I had NCB protection so at first my renewal costs didn't rise to much but like everyone's over the last few years it has gone up significantly.

My motor insurance schedule from my broker has No Claims Bonus: 10 years

My insurance company has on Proof of No Claims Bonus No. of years No Claim Bonus 09 years

It also has number of years this policy is in force without a claim as 5 years and the amount involved.

My question is how long does this claim and the amount involved show on my Proof of No Claims Bonus ?
Also if I tried to get a quote elsewhere how many years do I say my no claims bonus is ?

Usually, the max NCB is 5 or 6 yrs, so whether it is 9 or 10 on a schedule means little really. If you are shopping around, you will be asked the number of yrs claims and accident-free. This is routinely delineated between 3 - 5 yrs depending on the insurer, but check the proposal or assumptions very carefully to ensure you answer correctly. This is the only relevant question you need to answer from an underwriting perspective. The only provisio on this is if, as a consequence of a claim, the insurer imposed any special terms and conditions. Then you will need to give details.

Declan would you know how long the claim remains on my proof of no claims bonus form as with it on it I think it will hinder my chances of shopping around.

It shouldn't arise as an issue with other companies unless special terms applied as I outlined above and the claim is outside the period they specifically ask you, i.e. 3/5/6 yrs, depending on the insurers. So, if you do a quote online or over the phone, you will be asked have you had a claim in the last 3/5 yrs? Has an insurer imposed any special terms and conditions? If you can answer 'no' truthfully then they should quote without taking the claim into account as you meet the underwriting criteria. If, after you send in the NCB, a company queries the claim (very unlikely), you can truthfully state you answered the questions asked fully, and if there is any problem with the new insurer you can refer the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman or the Insurance Federation. If you want to ask for it to be removed from the schedule, you can ask that this be done (I'm kind of surprised it's on it) but I don't know if they are obliged to remove it.

Back