No car insurance quotes for named driver, how do I get quotes?

bren1916

Hi All,

My wife has been a named driver for over 10 years and it is proving very difficult to get a quote online (for a 2nd car where she will be main driver) despite no accidents, claims, penalty points etc in the last 10yrs + beyond. Can anyone shed some light as to why this is? Mid-40's with a clean driving record..

Thanks,
Bren

You might need to phone a few companies directly, or use a broker, it's a non standard ask.
My wife was in similar situation a few years ago, and at the time An Post (AIG) was the cheapest as they gave largest discount for named driver experience. Her 2nd year was AXA arranged through a broker, going direct we got nowhere.

If you've switched insurer yourself a lot, it can be a pain getting all the letters showing named driving experience from each insurer.

You might need to phone a few companies directly, or use a broker, it's a non standard ask.
My wife was in similar situation a few years ago, and at the time An Post (AIG) was the cheapest as they gave largest discount for named driver experience. Her 2nd year was AXA arranged through a broker, going direct we got nowhere.

If you've switched insurer yourself a lot, it can be a pain getting all the letters showing named driving experience from each insurer.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

My wife has been a named driver for over 10 years and it is proving very difficult to get a quote online (for a 2nd car where she will be main driver) despite no accidents, claims, penalty points etc in the last 10yrs + beyond. Can anyone shed some light as to why this is?
Because she has only ever been a named driver and this is the first time (?) that she's looking for insurance in her own name?

When you say that it's difficult to get a quote, do you mean at all or one that's not expensive?

Because she has only ever been a named driver and this is the first time (?) that she's looking for insurance in her own name?
Does a history of being a named driver work against someone though?

I mean would it be easier if she was looking for first-time insurance as a woman in mid-40s?

I only ask as my wife will be in the same situation soon having been named on my policy for years.

I was in the same situation last year , looking for first time insurance policy with many years of claim free driving as a named driver. I had no problem getting quotes and got a discount for the years of named driving experience .

As suggested here she should be able to get a quote over the phone or via a broker. If not then . .

What can I do if I am unable to obtain motor insurance?

Insurance Ireland operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote.

See https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/motor

The company where she is named should be in a position to quote. If she can get proof she was a named driver for 5 years, many companies will give her an introductory NCB of up to 5 years as well. I don't know why she can't get a quote.

Your current insurer will be the best option.

Keep her as named driver on your policy and put yourself as named driver on her policy. This can see up to 20% come off.

Expect initial year to be €700 - €800 or thereabouts, then falling rapidly.

Calling into an axa office is another option.

Expect initial year to be €700 - €800 or thereabouts, then falling rapidly.
To echo this, my wife's numbers (same car throughout). She's currently paying the minimum premium with Aviva

2018: 606 with AIG, via An Post (These were my insurer that year, and my wife was naned driver on my policy)
2019: 490, with AXA, via broker
2020: 420, AXA
2021: 396, AXA
2022: 312, Aviva

Back