Nixers and tax

Patgdirector

I am full time employed BUT I do a few nixers (painting etc) for a man that has a Few rental properties and he wants a receipt for the work from now on which makes sense for tax purposes.
Can I just put these in the form12 every year? I don't have to setup as a sole trader?

Thanks

Yes, not a bother "INCOME FROM A TRADE or PROFESSION" Sections 10 onwards on Form 12. I think around section 15 there's an "Untaxed or non PAYE income" box. If it's less than €3,750.00 there is no need for Form 11 submission.

Ok I understand form 12 ok if less than the €5,000 BUT if more you have to do form 11. For me it is about €4,000 a year, can I give him a receipt for the work with just my name on it then?

Yes and no. I have a large tax credit because of 3 disabled children and I don't reach that threshold so then I would only pay USC on the €4,000 and prsi I presume

Minimum/Flat rate Self-employed Payments

• Self-employed contributors with annual self-employed income over €5,000 pay Class S PRSI at the rate of 4%, subject to a minimum payment of €500.
  • Those with an annual self-employed income in excess of €5,000 who have been told by an Inspector of Taxes that they need not make a return of income must pay a flat rate PRSI contribution of €310 to this Department.
  • The flat rate of payment of Voluntary Contributions made by former self-employed contributors is €500.

You might get away with the PRSI also if the invoices are less than €5k :)

Back