Nissan Leaf when to buy

I started reading up on articles on Electric Cars several years ago. There is a lot of knowledge on the new tech thats not always obvious, so step 1 is - read up as much as you can on the various choices, how the vehicles work, how the vehicles compare.

Initially, i was also very skeptical of range being, a major issue, but then overtime, i began reading a lot about statistics on what most people drive on average per day, and it was a lot lower than i thought, then i looked at our own driving habits, and i conceeded, this information was actually quite accurate. The reality is that while most people think about range as a “major” issue, in reality, for the average user, its only a minor issue in a small minority of situations. I am excluding people who have 300km daily commutes, again, this is a minority of the general population.

The next issue i was skeptical about was public charging. Is the public charging network adequate ? just like on the range issue, i thought about the journeys i do on an annual basis. I usually go on a 1 week holidays a few hours drive away- but within 300kms away, once a year, plus maybe 3 to 4 weekends away. So when i broke it down, there would only be 4 to 5 occasions per year, where i would have to even think about public charging. The rest of the time, my charging, would be covered by a home charger. So, a non issue.

Next issue i looked into, was battery degredation. Did a good bit of research on this, across several models. In summary, there is a reduction in battery capacity over time, but it has been less than predicted in most cases. Vehicles have battery guarantees typically 7 to 10 years, and the warranty usually covers, up to around 100,000 kms. I even came across details of BMW who - after it became apparent their i3 model degraded much less than anticipated, actually increased the battery warranty to 150,000 kms. If you look up boards .ie there are great threads on all EV models, and one user had 130,000 kms on an i3 model about 7years old, with nearly negligible degredation.

So, the above 3 main issues i determined to be non issues for most EV models.

So last July i purchased a 1 year old EV, it has a WLTP (ideal conditions) of about 300kms, i have used public charging only 5 times, 3 of those was while on a weeks holidays, there was a public charger near where we were staying. The 4/5th time was when we had to drive 3 hours to Dublin Airport, enroute up, i charged to 80 % when almost at the airport, so when we returned, we had enough to get us more than half way home.

None of the public charging was an issue, and now that i have an EV, i am much more aware of where they are, and the best apps to find them, in the event i need one, which is almost never.

On a normal week, i charge once every 6 to 9 days days at home, depending on what trips we go on on weekends or evenings. My weekly work commute is low at about 20 kms round trip - 5days a week.

I would certainly agree with previous posters who advised considering going for the newer Leaf, having said that, even the older 30kw battery model maybe suitable depending on your own driving habits, do you go on very long drives each week ? , or only a few times per year ?

The other item to mention is, when doing motorway driving at 120kms, this does drain the battery a lot faster, but if you are stopping for a break, you can charge up then, then its a non issue. For me, as i am hardly ever doing motorway drives, its a non issue, but appreciate, thats just me.

It all depends in your lifestyle and driving habits/commute, and i did decide early on to get a minimum 40kw battery model, but thats just something i wanted.

On savings, i have seen fuel costs drop by nearly 80 %, annual road tax is down to €120, so i have definitely seen big and noticeable savings, and there are further savings possible by using smart meter night rates, which i am looking into at the moment.

Finally, after more than 10 years with my old diesel car, and now 5 months driving an EV, i can honestly say i’d never go back. Its so easy to drive, quicker, smoother, the drive is more relaxing, less stressful, and so quiet, its really been breath of fresh air.

Going Electric, is a big change, and change can be tricky and initially daunting, but i suggest - read up on the models, take a few test drives of different vehicles (i test drove 8 different EV’s before buying)that are within budget, and then, make your own - well informed decision.
Many thanks for that the one line that stood out for me was that you decided to go for a minimum 40 KW battery.This is my problem.I was thinking of buying a 30 KW leaf .But was thinking that I Iwould have to stop twice to charge for trip from East Clare to Dublin.I would not be doing this trip often but have family up there.I currently have a 04 Ford Focus petrol with 256000 miles .Would have liked to go electric .Had settled on 15000 euros for a 30 KW Leaf but would have to go to 19000 euros for a 4 year old 40 KW Leaf.It seems a lot for a 4 year old car. So still confused.

Thats exactly why i set a minimum of 40kw, so i could get to most places, without charging.

One of the EV’s i test drove was the Renault Zoe, albeit smaller than the Leaf, one can get the 40kw version,(290 km range approx) for about 17k, possibly less with negotiation.
Note - The Zoe increased their battery size to 40 kw for the 2018 model, although it does not have CCS DC fast charging, the Zoe is one of the very few EV’s which can take up to 22kw AC charging. Most of those ESB rural chargers can do 22kw AC charging, but most EV’s can only accept 11kw AC charging. None of this is an issue if you are only doing a few long trips per annum.

Here is an example:
[broken link removed]

Agreed, thats a total “no go”.

You’l have to find a public charger in the nearest town, and use that, while you are down there.

Do some research on nearest charging places, they are popping up a lot even in small towns, in supermarkets and car parks.

As it happens, i was in Kilkee for a week a few months back, no issue, there was two ESB chargers, in the town, at the seafront car park - East End, and i also used one in a Tesco in Kilrush.

Thats exactly why i set a minimum of 40kw, so i could get to most places, without charging.

One of the EV’s i test drove was the Renault Zoe, albeit smaller than the Leaf, one can get the 40kw version,(290 km range approx) for about 17k, possibly less with negotiation.
Note - The Zoe increased their battery size to 40 kw for the 2018 model, although it does not have CCS DC fast charging, the Zoe is one of the very few EV’s which can take up to 22kw AC charging. Most of those ESB rural chargers can do 22kw AC charging, but most EV’s can only accept 11kw AC charging. None of this is an issue if you are only doing a few long trips per annum.

Here is an example:
[broken link removed]
Many thanks for that that seems an option

What if there are problems with the electrical grids this winter as predicted in the news? May be disruptive to those with electric cars.

What if there are problems with the electrical grids this winter as predicted in the news? May be disruptive to those with electric cars.
If the disruptions are to be days/weeks long then yes, but I think if that were the expectation there'd be a lot more noise about our energy issues!

Most people charge their EV a couple of times a week in a few hours, a blip in power supply for an hour or two will have no impact. In-fact many EVs come with a 220V socket or can have one added, so those people will be able to run a kettle or their central heating using their EV while everybody else is sitting in their cold dark homes. Just kidding, that's not going to happen either...

Last edited:
Back