Nikon v Sony camera

T

Teabag

Hi,
I am trying to decide between a Nikon Coolpix 4800 and a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W1 digital camera - can anyone recommend one over the other ?
Cheers.

Sony seems to win out [broken link removed] ...unless you want a lot of zoom(?) It's also cheaper and uses standard AA rechargeable batteries.

Nikon v Sony

Thanks Doc. Handy site.
What exactly is a "Nikon EN-EL1 Lithium-Ion & charger included" - isn't this a rechargeable battery and charger ?
Would this not be better than AA rechargeables ?

Re: Lithium vs NiMH

Technically, yes, size-for-size it'll hold more charge for longer.
But try pricing a spare one for carrying around with you for when it does run out, as compared to a few rechargeable AAs (or an emergency pack of alkalines from the nearest petrol station)...

Buying

I get your point Doc.

Just one last Q - would you buy a new camera online (which site ?) or in a camera shop or abroad ?

Pixmania.com

Try Pixmania.com....

I've bought several cameras from them in the past, shipped from France in about two days usually. Can't recommend them highly enough. The Sony is €309 from them or €420 from Conn's Cameras behind BT's in Dublin. You get a two year warranty from Pixmania also.

Dave

Re: Lithium vs NiMH

Another alternative (less range than Pixmania, but worth checking their 'specials' section) is www.7dayshop.com. The Coolpix 4800 is Stg £249 + £2.95 p&p (+€365, as opposed to €372 + €13 from Pixmania — 'tho admittedly that's for 24h delivery, 7dayshop often takes a week or more...).

But the Pixmania price on the Sony is compelling. The W1 is still €499 in Argos...! :)

Dr. M.

Pixmania

I'd agree with the Pixmania recommendation also, I bought a Fuji Finepixe F810 camera from them last Friday pm, arrived this morning and saved €100, only thing I did notice was - their memory cards are more expensive - even with their promo bundle packs, so I just bought the camera and the case (cases are good value) from them and bought the XD memory card from the Camera Centre at nearly €40 cheaper.

sony cybershot dsc-w1

Friend of mine bought the Sony DSC-W1 for 250 euro in States. He will be home after Xmas. Not bad for such a class camera.

Re: sony cybershot dsc-w1

Good buy, Teabag. Happy snappin'... :D

Back