nikon coolpix p4 cant transfer photo to computer?

coleen

Hi
I have a nikon coolpix camera.I have used it several times but this time when I want to load my photos on to the laptop, I turn on the camera that I have attached to the laptop but the shutter is not opening as normal. A box is appearing on screen to say mixed content what do you want windows to do? but the box is blank not offering the usual options like view as a slide show or transfer photos. I have used a 2gb card this time is this the problem. How am I going to get the photos from the camera ?

Some things not 100% clear from your post:
Have you successfully transferred photos in the past? (yes?)
"Shutter not opening as normal" is this the camera shutter? Does it normally open when connected to the computer? (mine doesn't)
What has changed since the last time this worked? (a new 2GB card?)

At a guess, if the shutter isn't opening, then maybe the batteries are low & that's why its having problems?

yes I have used it many times and have transfered succesfully. I thought the shutter should open but I was wrong as I put back in my previous card 256mb and it opens as normal. So I must have a problem with card. I open up my computer and went in to removable device f and tried to open with picasso but nothing happens. Any ideas how I can transfer off this card.

Can you view the pics on the camera?
Sometimes a memory card can for some reason be come corrupt.
In such cases I use a tool called testdisk.
It has saved my skin quite a few times.
Even if you can view the pics there is no harm having this app.
The link is below
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

To rule out a faulty card , why not bring it to a pharmacy , and if the photo's upload , you know the problem is with the camera .

You could also try a USB card reader by inserting your card into its slot and if photo's upload , you know the problem is with the camera .

To transfer photos to PC , the shutter does not have to be open , but the camera does have to be switched on

Thanks Having used a smaller card and all is working well it seems that it must be the card. So I will bring it to a shop and if it loads up I should be able to save them to a cd and put them on that way. Maybe the card is curropt I did not think of that as I can view them on the camera . Thanks for all the help

Back