Nightmare Apartment Purchase in Navan! Advice Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pdmc

Early last October, we placed a holding deposit on a new apartment on the outskirts of Navan and began the daunting journey that is buying a property for the first time. When we viewed this building, it was almost complete and was even painted inside at that point. Kitchen, tiling and flooring was all that remained to be done. We signed our contracts in December and the bank issued the 10% of purchase price cheque to the builder in early January. Very little work was done in the following months and what was done was done badly.

In April we visited the apt to find that the ESB meter boxes had to be relocated due to the fact that they were not in compliance with standards. The builder blamed the ESB for the hold up, but neglected to mention that his builders had not complied with building regulations when fitting the boxes. We learned this ourselves from reading the instructions inside the boxes which clearly said to fit 1.2 metres from the ground. They had been fitted 12 inches from it.

On this visit we also noticed very severe water damage to the ceilings and walls of our apartment and all 9 other ground floor apartments. We informed the builder via our solicitor that this was unacceptable and that this would have to be rectified immediately. Nothing happened. The ceilings and walls were repainted repeatedly however.

Recently we were notified by the auctioneers that there was a “very serious structural fault” with the premises and they advised us to contact our solicitors. Following a week or so of panic, we visited the auctioneers for information and were eventually supplied with a letter from the builder’s solicitor to the auctioneer. This confirmed the structural fault existed and stated that the builder would not be trying to enforce the contract and that purchasers would not be requested to "remain on" as the builder did not know "how long it will take for the defect to be remedied."

Last week however, the situation took a new twist. The builder has now contacted our solicitor to say that we must first sign a document, stating we will not take legal action against him for compensation, before he will return our 10% deposit. Our solicitor seems either unwilling or unable to assist or advise us adequately, asking us what we wish to do.

Meanwhile, the bank are seeking interest on the approx €20,000 deposit that they gave as a part of the 100% mortgage we had been granted. We do not want to pay this interest as the builder is responsible for the delays and ultimate termination of this contract. At this point we do not know how to proceed. We have no contact with any other buyers.

Does anyone have any advice for us? Should we sign and return our deposit to the bank asap asking them to scrap the interest charges? Or, should we refuse to sign and take legal action? We have lost months in this process and property prices have increased since we began the process to buy. It now looks like we cannot afford to buy at all. This builder is moving the goalposts now and I can't help but wonder if this is in response to another buyer's legal action.

If you, or anyone that you happen to know of, were buying an apartment in the Johnstown, Navan area whose situation matches this scenario, please do not hesitate to contact me by PM

Defamatory comment deleted - Brendan

While I have every sympathy for your plight, please avoid making defamatory comments about a named builder.

You need legal advice - if your solicitor is not helping you, go to another solicitor.

Why not wait outside the houses for a while and try to identify the other purchasers? Or put up some posters in Navan about the estate asking people to contact you.

the bank are seeking interest on the approx €20,000 deposit that they gave as a part of the 100% mortgage we had been granted. We do not want to pay this interest as the builder is responsible for the delays and ultimate termination of this contract.

The bank lent you money, so you must pay them interest on it. It's not their fault that you now have a problem.

Brendan

I may be wrong but a contract has been signed and the builder can be forced to comply with this contract. We are still in a rising market and you are garanteed that apartment (in perfect condition) for that price so maybe you should stick with it.
I also feel for the developer as it probably was not his/her fault but this query is from your point of view and I would advise you that I would not sign any piece of paper.

Check the local market prices as I have come across something similar before.

A developer sold out at said price. On coming up to completion they realised they could sell the already "sold" apartnments at a greater price.
They did as much as possible to encourage people to pull out with ridiculous delays and poor snag rectification etc...

If they underestimated a particular developments value they may try a stunt like this to get you out and re sell to others.....

Ask for details on the structural fault and have an Engineer go along to the site to assess the fault on your behalf.

monkeyboy said:
Check the local market prices as I have come across something similar before.

A developer sold out at said price. On coming up to completion they realised they could sell the already "sold" apartnments at a greater price.
They did as much as possible to encourage people to pull out with ridiculous delays and poor snag rectification etc...

If they underestimated a particular developments value they may try a stunt like this to get you out and re sell to others.....

While this more than likely does happen sometimes given the facts outlined by the original poster that they could see obvious severe water damage themselves I would tend to think there may be a real structural issue and that this is not just a smokescreen for reselling at a better price.

This situation just gets worse and worse by the day. I would appreciate it is posters would refrain from expressing their sympathy for the builder as this is not what I am asking for with this post. The builder I am sure will survive this fine.

We had decided not to pursue this builder for compensation as it seems too messy and distressing a route to take. However the builder has now issued a letter to our solicitor saying that we have 14 days in which to sign and return the document declaring that we will not seek compensation, but does not wish to release our funds immediately once we do so. Our solicitor says that this is to all intents and purposes, blackmail as the original contract is void and he has no legal right to retain the funds.

I recently sought legal advice from another solicitor who said that we should just take our money and run although we have a very strong case should we choose to go to court. She advised we only sign the document if the funds are available and are to be transferred when we hand over the document. She said nothing was to be signed without such an exchange taking place.

Our solicitor has today faxed the builder's solicitor to inform them that legal action will be taken if they do not refund the deposit immediately. This is not at all what we wanted but our solicitor feels that the 14 day deadline is nonsense and any judge would look very unfavourably on such a demand.

In response to Brendan's above comment, the bank lent us the 20k deposit as a part of the 100% mortgage for which we had applied. That mortgage was granted for that property, so I do believe that the bank ought to show a little more understanding and interest than they have thus far. Presently we can afford this repayments on the loan amount, however going forward we very well may not be able to.

Firstly, while I sympthise with you for all that you have been put through I think you are being unreasonable expecting the bank to 'scrap any interest charges'. They lent you the 10% deposit in order for you to secure the apartment and by drawing down this deposit you agreed to make repayments on it.

Also, I'm not sure exactly what you meant by your last comment - you say presently you can afford repayments on the loan amount but that you may not be able to in the future - do you mean the 10% you have drawn down or the full mortgage if you were to draw down at this stage ie. before another hike in interest rates? If the latter you should seriously review your financial situation before committing yourself to a mortgage, if the former then I would find this very worrying - if you cannot afford the 10% I can't see how you would expect to make a full repayment.

Good Lord! I am not posting looking for advice about the bank situation.

We have no problem making our repayments on the 10% at present. I am not worried about interest rates either. It is not an incredibly large amount. We would have had no problem making our mortage repayments either. Obviously however, we would not now be drawing down the balance as we are not proceeding with the purchase. The contract to buy is void as a result of the builders breach of that contract.

Lets forget about the bank. I won't mention it again. I may have raised the issue but now I am closing it!!!!!!!!

Is it not plain to see that my main concern is the situation with the builder? If you do not have anything constructive to suggest or add then please do not post a comment.

pdmc said:
Is it not plain to see that my main concern is the situation with the builder? If you do not have anything constructive to suggest or add then please do not post a comment.

May I suggest that you leave people to comment how they see fit given the nature of your original post?

It is people's right to take the side of the builder if they wish.

If none of this is to your liking then I will lock the thread and you can find somewhere else to post.

Thanks.

Does the builder have a 10 year home bond guarantee ?

If he does his insurance company / homebond will sort out the structural damage.

Id be very happy to wait a year on a property that has increased in value significantly and is costing u peanuts to service the interest.

Every cloud has a silver lining wait til they fix the damage. No worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back