NIB's Prying Eyes

BillyNoMates

This is taken from the National Irish Bank website

[broken link removed]

Opening Your Account

If you wish to open an account with us, simply visit your preferred branch (an appointment may be necessary), bringing the following items with you:

• Some ID - for example, your current passport, current Irish full or provisional driving licence with photograph

• Proof of where you live - for example, a current utility bill addressed to you, or a current statement from your existing bank

• Details of your income - for example, your P60 or your last 3 months' salary or pension payment slips
Question : Do the bank have any right to know details of your income?

never seen a bank want that info unless you are looking for credit.. (loan , overdraft , mortgage)....

I opened a savings account with Bank of Ireland last year and on the application form i had to fill out my salary as well

Ask the why they want to know your income and do you have to tell them (get them to quote the legislation so you can check it if needs be). They have the right to refuse your application if you don't tell them, because I guess they are under no obligation to provide you with banking facilities. If you want to take it a step further, you have the right to complain to IFSRA or the FSO.

One reason might be so they can establish what is a reasonable level of income coming into your account so they can rule out suspicious transactions in the future, but I'd say it's more than likley for credit rating (and cross selling) purposes.

They refused to let a friend of mine open a freebank current account "because she was self-employed" even though she got a letter from her existing bank confirming income.

cobalt said:
They refused to let a friend of mine open a freebank current account "because she was self-employed" even though she got a letter from her existing bank confirming income.
It is starting to sound like US banks who won't allow unemployed persons open a back acccount. In the us they also run a credit check when you open an account.

All highly questional imho.

Its not what the question about the salary that bothers me. It just makes me wonder what other efforts they use to check on people without asking directly?

Still worth opening a bank account with NIB purely to avoid bank charges and queues out the door that are standard with AIB and BOI.

I'm not defending the bank here but one possible reason is so that they can offer you a level of credit.
The freebank a/c doesn't come with an overdraft a/c as standard,
but as soon as I opened an a/c with them I was offered their credit card,
as well as a term loan...
I'd imagine they use the earnings info to decide what level of credit to pre-approve you for.

Would it be discrimination if they refused an employed person an account on that basis?

Back