NIBs new suite of accounts, recommend?

A

advise me

Has anyone investigated NIBs new acs? Am I mad to think that they seem to be the only bank advertising the fact that they charge fees (flat, quarterly), while all other banks are moving all be it slowly toward fee free? Have they lost the plot or am I missing something worth paying for... :confused:

Re: NIBs new suite of accounts, recomend?

Some of them are free. The ones with fees appear to offer more 'value added', whether it is worth paying for is a matter of personal judgment.

Out of the 5 offerings 3 are free.
(Originally out of the 3 current account types, only 1 was free on condition you didn't go overdrawn).

However with the two you pay for there is a lower interest rate on the Mastercard and a few freebies (which I presume is what you pay for ultimately).

Not a bad package, but I'm a bit pissed off that loyal existing customers are just left out in the cold on the old interest rates and charges.

Yeah that sucks

Hi IFF12,
The only way as an existing customer to get results is to vote with your feet. i.e. either go to another bank, or more simply here, tell your branch you want one of the new product packages. Personally, I'm just going to open one of the ECB tracker acc's (minimum 5k balance initially, although once up to 5k, you can reduce balance below this.). Once the acc is open, then I'll just sweep money to that using internet banking.

On the packages, I think it depends on whether you travel regularly for instance, cos then you can get free travel insurance, and/or lounge access. Will suit some to get these for the cost of the fee on the acc's

I thought existing customers were as entitled to change to the new packages as anybody. they are also entitled to keep existing t&c'sif they so wish.
All the press releases said the CEO would give you Eur100 if existing bank was better.

I, an existing customer of 9 years good standing, asked my branch to transfer to the Prestige package, which is openly advertised as an option subject to the usual credit parameters.

I was told that I needed to be on a salary of €100k+, have my accounts subjected to 'a complicated formula', and in any case that it is an 'invitation-only' product. Many calls to my branch, and to NIB HQ have resulted in zero callbacks. My 'account manager' has never initiated contact with me for these last 9 years

When I asked about their Easy Plus package, I was told that I needed to open a new set of accounts, and be interviewed first. The 'interview' could not take place for at least 2 weeks.

To me, this is a case of a brilliant and imaginative new portfolio of products being polluted by the dead hand of the old NIB culture.

you were given incorrect info, can keep the same a/c no. do need to go through the interview though.
Prestige is invite only and salary is 150k not 100k. what branch are you dealing with?

jwd said:
To me, this is a case of a brilliant and imaginative new portfolio of products being polluted by the dead hand of the old NIB culture.

. . . no doubt the same dead hand that overcharged some customers, and goaded others into tax evasive investments . . . some things obviously don't change.

I will be ringing my branch soon and asking about moving to the Easy package. I recall when I opened a Freebank account being told that there was a possibility of moving to a standard current account if I wanted to at a later stage. I don't see why that shouldn't apply to the new suite of products.

Originally Posted by bambino
you were given incorrect info, can keep the same a/c no. do need to go through the interview though.
Prestige is invite only and salary is 150k not 100k. what branch are you dealing with?

I think that it is highly misleading to market the Prestige package in the same way as the others without making this clear. AMEX have the cop-on not to advertise details of their Centurion card as it is invitation-only; NIB should do the same for the Prestige package if this is how they wish to manage it. But lets face it, whats the difference in benefits between this package and their more accessible Easy Plus? - 50k OD facility rather than 25k (which after credit assessment can be the same thing), and the (very useful) travel benefit. Hardly the stuff of invitation-only!

For existing customers wanting to migrate to the Easy Plus package, I think that an interview is OTT in the extreme!

Back