NIB To Close Entire Branch Network, Go Online/Call-center Only

I'm with homeboy also ....

I don't want to do on-line banking. I don't trust on-line banking.

Not being able to lodge a cheque in a branch (yes, there are still some of us cave-dwellers out here who 'do' cheques) is a major inconvenience. They do still let me send a cheque for my credit card payment each month, but that's ONLY because it's not handled at a branch.

Whoever heard of a cashless bank .....?

Rant over, Molly

banking wise, I dont really see why many customers would want to be with them anymore, still with them only because of mortgage and just playing wait and see what happens with Ulster etc, seems to me they are fast tracking the moves to shed customers in a bid to do something????

More cuts at NIB ...

NIB Cutting Head Office Functions

[broken link removed].

National Irish Bank is to review its head office functions after eliminating 100 jobs this year as it closes most of its offices in Ireland, according to a report by a facilitator of talks between the lender and the bank union.

Death by 1000 cuts?

Thus far, NIB/Danske have:
1) Cut cash banking.
2) Cut cheques.
3) Done 3 rounds of branch closures and then
4) Shut their entire branch network.
5) Shut their entire ATM network.
6) Removed local branding. (in progress)
7) Cut free day-to-day banking products.
8) Cut interest rates on non online-only savings products.
9) Stopped mortgage lending (or so many people say).
10) According to today's Irish Times, Danske are going to [broken link removed]

However, Danske are constantly advertising their SME offering, they will have 1 client servicing non-cash branch and several product-sale, for pensions etc, appointment-only offices.

Hence, Danske may have a SME banking future and maybe a pension and insurance sales future. However, it is very conceivable, in the medium term, that Danske may end their retail current account products here.

I have my account at College Green, and received the notice this week that the branch will be closing. I live in the US but will be back in Ireland in a few weeks. What do I need to close my account?

I have my account at College Green, and received the notice this week that the branch will be closing. I live in the US but will be back in Ireland in a few weeks. What do I need to close my account?

Identification, passport and letter from the bank should be sufficient.

After 20+ years I closed my NIB last week and have no regrets.

Just bring in your passport, account details and any unused cheques. They charged me E2.50 for a draft - it was the only way I could get the balance of money left in my account. I was not impressed with that.

And it's sad to see an outstanding banking hall in use probably for more than a hundred years come to it's end. We'll probably end up with a Penny's or SPAR in that building.

I have a tracker with nib taken out in 2007. Part of the terms were that I had to open a current account with them a well to serve the loan account. It had to be my main current account with my pay going into it. The catch was that they charge 18.75 for every 'quarter' - and there are 5 of these quarters a year! now they've closed their branches and withdrawn other services as well, do I have any rights to demand that these exhorbitant charges are removed?

I only ever dealt with the Stillorgan branch. There was one staff member there who wouldn't do anything for you. She used to slouch around the office carrying a bottle of water. At one interview she was drinking from the bottle in front of me. You would often see her standing in the doorway of the Xtra Vision outlet having her cigarette. I eventually closed my account due to the awful service. I feel sorry though for the staff who left other financial institutions to join them when they were on their expansion drive.

Yet more cut backs at NIB, this does not even include the HQ lay-offs ...

Indo: NIB Increase Branch Lay-offs by 30%

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/national-irish-bank-to-lay-off-130-workers-3242844.html

SOME 130 jobs are to go at National Irish Bank -- more redundancies then indicated at first.

The layoffs come as the lender continues to cut back its Irish business.

Some 130 people are now expected to leave the firm, compared with the 100 the bank had originally said would be let go.

I have a tracker with nib taken out in 2007. Part of the terms were that I had to open a current account with them a well to serve the loan account. It had to be my main current account with my pay going into it. The catch was that they charge 18.75 for every 'quarter' - and there are 5 of these quarters a year! now they've closed their branches and withdrawn other services as well, do I have any rights to demand that these exhorbitant charges are removed?
Are you sure that was a condition? For most, the condition was that they had to have 'a' NIB current account so service the mortgage. However, since they made changes to current accounts - it's possible to use a fee free current acccount for this purpose - so long as you don't use it otherwise. There's a key thread on AAM on that - run a search.

Back