NIB Sterling Draft Delay unless you Pay

Slim

Just tried to get a small sterling draft from my bank, National Irish. Told it would take 3 working days to get the draft or next day if I pay €9. Cheek! Is this new, thanks to the Danish? I obtained the draft in BOI standing at the counter (I am also a customer of theirs or else no deal).

Slim

It is the Danish thing. They don't have much use for paper cheques or drafts on the continent. Probably a bit early to try and change the Irish habit of a lifetime. What the Danes would do would be to send a credit transfer (or Telegraphic Transfer which is dearer but same day into the payee's acc.) using e-banking to the person you want to pay... I guess a lot cheaper and quicker than 9 euros.

Hi, this is something I have to do also.

I have to pay a bill in sterling and am a customer of National Irish Bank. I was going to get a sterling bank draft and send it up but it does give the account number I can transfer the money to if I want to do it by e-banking.

What I am unsure of is, if the bill is STG 450 how do I know how much euro to transfer from my account to make sure the correct sterling amount goes into the sterling account?

Is that a stupid question? Am I missing something basic?

cheers

If you're signed up to their [broken link removed] you should be able to set the recipient up as a payee and send them 'cross-border' transfers in the currency of your choice (but check the small print re charges/FX rates for non-euro transfers...)

Back