NIB Rates-anybody understand?

CCOVICH

Hi

Can anybody tell me what the two rates next to each amount/term represent? Is it lowest/highest? Or is it nominal/APR (I doubt it).

[broken link removed]

not sure if this helps at all, but [broken link removed] is info from AIB, regarding their new improved rates for personal loans.

The link includes a comparison table, for what it's worth, and shows NIB-Danske (and others) rates for various loans from €2k < €25K.

Also, some interesting (pardon the pun) comments regarding the relative cost of Credit Union loans.

Useful info, thanks irishpancake.

I still don't understand the 'flat' rate-I thought that maybe if you took the total interest payable over the life of the loan, expressed it as a percentage of the total amount borrowed, and then divided by the term, you would get the flat rate, but apparently not.........

The flat rate is I believe a simple interest calculation in NIB, ie what interest rate for the period of, say, 5 years at a simple interest term. Not really relavent to any borrowing calculation. What is more important is the APR.

As with any personal loan, be aware that on average 3 year loans are paid of in 18months - i.e. people take out a loan for say 5 years, with low monthly repayments to tide them over until their circumstances improve, and then pay off the balance. This is also particularly relavent with respect to car loans where the loans are typically paid off when the car is sold. The message is, if you think you are going to repay early, or accelerate payments, then variable rate is more useful.

Final point, variable rate loans don't get impacted by rising rates to the same extent as mortgages as a larger portion of your payments are capital on a shorter term.

eur1000 over 1 yr at a flat rate of 6.5% would cost eur65.
eur10,000 over 1 yr flat rate of 3.92% costs eur392

hth

Back