NIB FreeBank current account - charged fees?

paddyodoors

Hi

Just wondering if anyone here has an NIB Freebank Current account and if so if you have recently been charged a maintenance fee?

I have for the first time (had the account well over a year, maybe 2) been charged a maintenance and txn's. I have queried with them and am waiting for someone to come back to me.

PTSB and there €150 for transferring is looking a lot more tempting than it was yesterday

Thanks
Paddy

I presume that most "free" bank accounts still charge fees in certain circumstances - e.g. bounced cheques/DDs/SOs, (unapproved) overdrafts etc. Did you check the terms & conditions and tariff sheet for the account? PTSB don't offer €150 for switchers - you may be thinking of Ulster Bank or somebody else? Check out the [broken link removed] although it no longer specifically lists the Freebank account.

I am all for T+C's Clubman - but come on the account is called "FREEbank current account".

Nothing has changed in my circumstances, account always in credit, same number of txn's go through the account each month (on average including withdrawals, dd's etc would only be 5 txns).

That said I will still be looking to confirm the T+C's and whether anything has changed, however that wasn't my question.

I specifically was wondering has anyone else with this account experienced a recent change.

Paddy
p.s. was referring to Ulster bank offer, apologies

Hi Paddyodoors

Your question caused me to check my N.I.B. statement on line. While I didn't seen any fees listed in our transactions, when I checked the terms I noted a 12.98euro fees charge on my free current account. I can't see yet where this has actually been deducted - so far it just appears as an information item, together with information on interest, tax on interest etc. I've safe mailed N.I.B. to query this charge. Watch this space.

Justsally

The is nothing to stop them from say offering a "Bond 007 free* account" Terms and conditions apply. *not actually free.

With AIB they charge you the fees and then refund them...i.e. two transactions appear on your statement. Sometimes they're not simultaneous. That might be what's happened?

The same thing happened with my Freebank account last week. I was charged about 40quid in fees and I haven't been overdrawn. I queried it and they refunded the charges to my account. No explanation of why they were deducted in the first place.

I have something of a history of complaining to NIB — in the nicest possible way, of course! ;) — about spurious fees & charges that have shown up on my Freebank account over the years. The staff at my own branch are excellent, but the central [broken link removed] are not so hot.

And they now call diet 7UP '7UP Free' because if you ask for a 'diet' drink you must be fat.
If you ask for 7UP 'Free', however, it's an expression of your individuality and personal liberty... :rolleyes:

My NIB FreeBank was not charged fees and there were no fees in the terms section of the online account.

Follow up to my earlier post re. "fees" mentioned on statement. National Irish Bank replied to my query as follows:-

"thank you for your recent enquiry - the system calculates fees but does not apply them if the acccount stays in credit during the charging period - current charging period ends 30.06.2006.
Trust this clarifys the position for you."

My account is always in credit so that sorts that!!!

Justsally

Back