Niagra falls

I visited for a bit of a day too. Travelling by Greyhound, stayed in Buffalo the prevous night and through Toronto the next night.
I crossed the border a few times without any hassle. But that was before 9/11.

Thanks Richln Spirit.
The last thing that I want on a holiday is hassle, so it might be as well to stay on one side and leave the other side for another time. Because of Chicago been so far from the east coast and is a city that my son wants to see I thought that Toronto would be that bit closer but the border was a concern .

I visited for a bit of a day too. Travelling by Greyhound, stayed in Buffalo the prevous night and through Toronto the next night.
Hi RichInSpirit,

Was Toronto good? Thinking of heading there or else Montreal maybe..

Thanks,
Firefly.

If we were to start our trip in Toronto and fly to say Chicago , to finish the trip in USA should there be any problems flying from Canada to USA .

No, there shouldn’t be any problem if everything is in order. I travelled from Toronto to Las Vegas recently (no luck on my $10 bet there) ;) Entry was as smooth as it could be.

Marion

Hi RichInSpirit,

Thanks,
Firefly.
I only stayed there a few hours and it was evening when the bus got there. I went looking for the tower with a view but it was closed for the night. I left Toronto again around 1am. Flying visit :)

Joer, I suppose the length of time anybody stays anywhere is fairly subjective.

If you break down your timings it might make it easier.

We arrived late afternoon. So 5 nights and 4 full days (one day out to Niagara and environs we hired an SUV for the day - you’d want a largish car to feel safe in that traffic if you change your mind about driving)

We had 3 full days in the city. We had booked a show and a Lacrosse game (first time to see) and worked around those. Went to AGO museum, Wards Island, walked around various parts of the city. Checked out St Lawrence market for Breakfast. Used CN tower viewing for dinner to check out the sunset. (None of us were into shopping on that trip so a lot of time saved there!) Also, there’s a lovely tiny little green area down by the lake called Ireland park - it’s a memorial to those who left during the famine. The trams run close to there. A short visit, 30 minutes or so, was sufficient to see this small outdoor space - perhaps to do if you are in that area.

We walked a lot but also used Uber and the trams to save time, for example, to get us to an area that we could walk around.

I’m sure you have lots of different ideas but the above might give you an idea of what can be done in a few days.

We used Open Table online to make dinner reservations.

Link to train from Pearson:

[broken link removed]

Have a great trip!

Marion

Hi Marion, You packed a lot into your four days which is the timescale that I was thinking about. I wont drive so I would do a day trip to Niagra Falls and the rest would be spent visiting the CN tower , Wards Island and a Museum or two etc.
This is very much in the planning stages so am just getting the homework done as early as I can. I was thinking of Four days in Toronto , four in Chicago and four in maybe Boston , as my son likes to pack as much as he can into a trip and while we are there might as well see as much as we can.
Thanks again

If you are going to Chicago and Washington as well look at doing internal flights. Buffalo is an alternative stop for Niagra Falls if you want to stay on the US side.

I think I would prefer to travel from Toronto to see Niagra . Then fly from Toronto to Chicago, after four days , as it is not too far away. Then fly to Boston , or Washington, for four days, to finish the trip.

Thanks for all the travel tips everyone. We looked at some guided tours , which would visit a lot of cities in both Canada and US, and as was said it is all go and moving on all the time. We, at the moment, are now seriously considering just Chicago, New York and Washington . About four days in each. Perhaps we will go to Canada another time.

Hi RichInSpirit,

Thanks,
Firefly.
I was there years ago. I took an internal US flight to Buffalo NY, hired a car and drove to Toronto, via Niagara. Saved hundreds on the flight and after Buffalo anywhere is nice. As many have said there's no much in Niagara other than the falls. Toronto was brilliant. It was the first night of the film festival. I went up the CN tower that afternoon and then met a few friends. After that it gets a bit fuzzy. I don't know where I ate or the names of the bars but it was a great night. I do remember eating nice stone baked pizza in a nice restaurant at 7 the following morning... and every wanna-be actor and actress was out that night. Sure ye've never seen the likes of it!

Thanks for all the travel tips everyone. We looked at some guided tours , which would visit a lot of cities in both Canada and US, and as was said it is all go and moving on all the time. We, at the moment, are now seriously considering just Chicago, New York and Washington . About four days in each. Perhaps we will go to Canada another time.

You can get the train between DC and New York but you'll need to fly to Chicago from either.

Make sure you choose the right time of year. Chicago winters are brutal, while DC is very hot & humid during the summer.

Thanks Andy836.
I was planning this trip for September next year , would that be a good time of year for Chicago.

September is a lovely month to visit Chicago. Spring or Autumn. One of my favourite cities. Enjoy

Anyone thinking of going to Canada might bear in mind that the Canadian Border Guards-CBSA appear to be getting a very bad reputation. Even if your docs are in order, rudeness, bullying and aggressive behaviour are increasing. Used to go regularly but not anymore. Secondary inspections where you are treated as a 'suspect' are very unpleasant.
Niagara on the Lake is pretty and a trip around the falls on the boat is very nice. Unfortunately Canada's border is like that of the U.S. Beware!!
Imagine if your daughter was asked when feminine hygiene products were found are you menstruating???

Hi Royanne
Are the border Gaurds only as bad as that if driving from Canada to US .Are there an issues when flying from Canada to US , at customs.

Back